O-100-- interesting new engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Cy V

I guess I was just trying to be a gentleman.

It was the Chipper Aero guy. He posted recent pics of his new Chipper SS (single seat) ultralight and the discussion turned into engine options. Someone mentioned the O-100 and he said it was a dead project. Anyone can look it up on Facebook and see it (unless it's been deleted).

TFF

The O-100 is not on line fast enough to bank a design on it, the way you need to sell a present product. On the other hand, probably the people who do get a O-100 will not give them up. In the end it will be similar to Scott Castler who will put together 1-3 engines a month when hopping. Potential is there to do more, but I bet production would have to be turned over to a mindless factory, to get 100 engines a month or more. That might be the biggest leap of faith to overcome.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I guess I was just trying to be a gentleman.

It was the Chipper Aero guy. He posted recent pics of his new Chipper SS (single seat) ultralight and the discussion turned into engine options. Someone mentioned the O-100 and he said it was a dead project. Anyone can look it up on Facebook and see it (unless it's been deleted).
Wow, I thought James had given up on aviation after the fire. He has been working on some capacitor based camping lights lately. Guess nobody could afford his asking price for his Belite business so he decided to resurrect it. He is an interesting fellow, but his aircraft designs were always a bit to odd for my liking. He should have never sold the Kitfox lite rights, but then again at least badland is running with it and doing well.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
The O-100 is not on line fast enough to bank a design on it, the way you need to sell a present product. On the other hand, probably the people who do get a O-100 will not give them up. In the end it will be similar to Scott Castler who will put together 1-3 engines a month when hopping. Potential is there to do more, but I bet production would have to be turned over to a mindless factory, to get 100 engines a month or more. That might be the biggest leap of faith to overcome.
I would say as of now, would be the right time to design around it. Its finally sorted out and a larger production run of parts is due to happen very soon. Plus you can build your own and just buy the kit so keeping the kits flowing should not be too hard. Building finished engines right now would tie Pete up for sure, but he is working on alternatives for that. I will be designing it in my SN#001 Lil Bitts and then Pete can use it as a demonstrator if he likes.

Marc

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
But that does not justify anybody saying that it is dead. If he has not gotten to market as fast as he planned, that is unfortunate, but they do not have any right to say something to do harm. Whoever that guy is, he's lucky I'm not on farce-book.

Protech Racing

I talked to Peter about a month ago. He said that he had 10 kits ready.
He had some interest in EFI and spark control. That is what I do. Microsquirt can replace the two mags and fuel it precisely. Havent heard back.
Yes it will be around 7000$

Cy V

I don't know if it's possible to get a message to Peter through this thread, but I think if he could put out an occasional update, it would help a lot to quell the rumor mill. He hasn't updated his website on the O-100 in nearly three years. That's a long time.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops are you one of the 10 getting the first batch?
No, Just waiting like everyone else. While I'm waiting, going to install new valve guides and valves in the 0-200 cylinders that I have and new push rod tubes. Also have the rockers arms and shafts and springs, etc.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Something my generation fails to see to our own detriment:. The world revolves around up to the second soundbites of information. A hard to navigate website or one that hasn't been updated in a month or two might as well not even exist. No matter how good the product or service, a poor website will effectively turn customers away and right into the arms of your customers.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
OK, here goes.... First, I will be getting some photographs some time tomorrow on the newly arrived parts. Those will be posted on tihs thread ASAP. More on that in a moment.

Overall, the O-100 is not dead by any means. Pete is working two jobs, like a madman, in order to make progress. As many of you know, Pete is the #1 wood aircraft structures shop in the western US, building Stearman and Staggerwing wing panels for the top restorers in the country. As you might guess, this is enough for a full-time job for ONE MAN as it is.

The wood wing business puts food on the table, pays the rent, AND has funded the quarter-million dollar investment that Pete has made into the development of the O-100 engine program. Anybody who says, or postulates, or hazards a guess that Pete would just let this investment of money (and time) just die on the vine is quite mistaken. And I'm using far more civil language than Pete used to describe this concept.

So at the same time as single-handedly building wood wings, Pete has been keeping the engine project going single-handedly through all this, sleeping in his f*****g hangar, and trying to keep it moving forward. At the same time as that, he has re-designed a basic LSA aircraft around this engine, had been supervising the construction of the prototype. I say single-handedly because Pete's right hand man on the engine program, Bill Vasilovich, has been dealing with some health issues that have kept him at home for a bit.

(All of that is why several of us who know him well have the amount and intensity of loyalty we have, and defend Pete as vehemently as we do.)

Just like every other business, current world events have thrown a wrench into the O-100. The company doing the aluminum crankcases and new accessory cases closed their shop for months because of you know what.

At present, there is progress since the last report.

The new rear accessory case production prototypes have arrived. The fit and finish, alignment, etc. have been verified such that there are no changes needed to the full-production design. The new rear case incorporates an updraft or side-draft carburetor mount at the rear of the engine, and includes a built-in intake plenum that finally gets rid of that inefficient "spider" under the center of the engine.

Pete previously spent a very large amount of time addressing the natural tendency for a 2 cylinder opposed "boxer" engine to thrash back and forth violently, like the half-VW's do. A counterweight was designed and built into the new crankshafts, which eliminated the vast majority of the high level vibration. The last small remnant is now being addressed with a small secondary counterweight on the other end of the crank, and Pete is not designing and building the tooling to cast the weight for this in-house, so that a third-party supplier is not needed. This extra effort will result in further reduced vibration, with safety, reliability, wear, and performance benefits.

Small but important details, like sourcing the structural studs for the cases and cylinder mounts, are being finalized. Most people would find a common industrial stud for 25 cents and throw it into a bag. Pete is sourcing higher quality, rolled thread, better metallurgy studs (instead of Kung Pao Stud with Spicy Inexpensive Sauce). Pete needs to design a new rear accessory case gasket, because the stock Continental gasket does not cover and seal the new portions of the new rear case. We have several options for laser cutting the new gaskets easily, but he needs to source the right gasket material (not just generic automotive gasket mat'l), design it, check the fit. We are fortunate to have good access to a laster cutter (thanks, Addicted2Climbing), but it's time-consuming details like these gaskets, studs, etc. that nobody thinks about until they try to create a new engine.

As had been reported recently in this thread, Pete is hoping and planning to do the first production engine build-up within a week or two. There are a hundred things that could postpone this. But the next step, as soon as these details are done, is to video record the build. That video will of course be put on the youtube channel and linked here in this thread as soon as it is available.

As soon as I get photos of the parts he has for the first batch, I'll post them here. Hopefully Friday.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Something my generation fails to see to our own detriment:. The world revolves around up to the second soundbites of information. A hard to navigate website or one that hasn't been updated in a month or two might as well not even exist. No matter how good the product or service, a poor website will effectively turn customers away and right into the arms of your customers.
There is a lot of truth to this. A decent web site is a must these days, and it has to be mobile-friendly, as well.

It sounds like Pete is up to his eyeballs right now, but hopefully he has site development as part of his marketing plan when he gets ready to start selling in earnest.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Bill, my comments are not a slam on Pete, nor a call for YOU to step up your game. Just pointing out that the world has changed dramatically, and an up to the SECOND website is an absolute MUST - not an afterthought. A poor website will damage a business today, and kill one tomorrow. The bar is high on mobile access today and only getting higher. Pete's apparently a very busy man and can't manage a website - I get it - but is he too busy to hire a web manager or a college kid?

TFF

Might be saying, if you need a website, your not my customer. He knows every engine will be sold. We know every one produced will. He is definitely not a shiny pamphlet flailing fake.

The average consumer just wants to be a consumer. I think he is only interested in helping out someone who needs his engine. He is going to sell to friends. Buying the engine gets you on the friend list. 10, 100, 200. The only way he makes more than that is if someone buys the design. The only way to sell it all, lock stock and barrel, is to do as he is doing, making it right.