O-100-- interesting new engine

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Dana, Jul 19, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2018 #801

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I like the engine, the idea of building a brand new lower end and then putting a used top end on it seems odd. Nothing wrong with it if all the parts meet spec but still odd. So I looked at what it would take to put new parts on it, that was a shock, and no wonder you were always talking about scrounging for a top end. It didn't make sense before, but now it does. If I had any money I would seriously try and contact Pete and invest in making some rocker arms that would be as good or better than the originals, because it is an experimental we could make them better, it is likely he would be interested. Then all new parts could be more easily offered. Sorry I haven't any money, I certainly have the interest.

2. Aug 15, 2018 #802

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Any time you base a new engine on a certified one and plan to use the parts, clearly the cost won't be cheap on some of those parts. Even many used O-200 parts are not exactly inexpensive as I found out and if the O-100 takes off, prices of those parts will start to rise as well.

The cylinder assembly from Superior is VERY reasonable at $1000 http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/millennium-cylinder-sa10200-a20p/ Unfortunately it doesn't include the rockers. The rocker price is ridiculous, being more expensive than a titanium roller rocker for a race engine. Few folks are going to drop $2K on 4 rockers. I agree that someone should design an aftermarket one and CNC them for this application. Should be able to do that for half the price of the current new ones in any reasonable quantity.

blane.c likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2018 #803

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Concerning "used" parts- there is a difference between "worn out" used" and "reconditioned" used. I would have no problem with inspected and yellow tagged parts on ANY aircraft engine. It's simply the way things are done in aviation.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    dragon2knight and akwrencher like this.
  4. Aug 16, 2018 #804

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I like this Pete guy, he's quietly making it happen, much to admire about that.

Looking forward to the next step.

Topaz, dragon2knight and akwrencher like this.
  5. Aug 22, 2018 #805

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

It's been a long, dark tunnel for me too Blane.c but because I'm the guy in the front with the map and the flashlight, the rest of you will have to continue to have faith in me until this engine emerges out of the darkness of development. I admit that I haven't been very good about reporting what's been going on back-stage but thanks, mainly to VB, accurate progress reports, pics and video HAVE kept you in the loop.

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel so this part of the journey will be behind us soon. Can't get there soon enough for your fearless leader!

Get ready for the next phase, Ya'll - production, distribution and lots of people having fun FLYING!!!

Pete

6. Sep 15, 2018 #806

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

PROGRESS REPORT 9/14/18

thumbnail.jpg

While this IS exciting for all of us, we still have a ways to go. Accessory cases and rocker covers still need to be cast and approved for production and the new Gen2 cranks machined and tested. I have good news and bad news about that. First some GOOD news: while some people think that manufacturing in the US is dead, fact is that every foundry in the United States is working to capacity and THEN some. The BAD news is that it is hard to get a foot in the door with these foundries and since my quantities don't run in the millions, ....well you know. The GOOD news is that we ARE in with the best of the best but the BAD news is the lead times are about 14 - 16 weeks.

My production sequencing was pretty good going into this year with the plan that was in place but got all out of whack when a redesign on the crank was necessary. The new foundry wants to cast 4 in-one-pour and use hard tooling instead of 3D printed molds. This required changes to the CAD file and sequence of the machining ops and the purchase of expensive tooling. An ongoing money squeeze hasn't help move anything along any faster either. Everything is finalized in the design now though so it is just a matter of waiting our place in line for the vendors to get to our stuff.

7. Sep 15, 2018 #807

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Oh the pains of bringing a new product to market.. Just when you think you've got it licked there is always something. Gonna send you a text..

Marc

dragon2knight and Pete Plumb like this.
  8. Sep 15, 2018 #808

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

That is a nice picture. I am happy to hear things are moving forward.

dragon2knight and Pete Plumb like this.
  9. Oct 25, 2018 #809

luked

luked

luked

I've been slowly working on a project that would be a perfect fit for this engine. I saw one of the prototypes at Oshkosh back in 2014 I think it was. I really like the idea, and hope it's a success. Keep up the good work Pete!

10. Dec 28, 2018 #810

galapoola

galapoola

galapoola

Hey Pete, Merry Christmas. It's been a few months, any updates on your progress? Thanks

dragon2knight, blane.c and Grelly like this.
  11. Feb 14, 2019 #811

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Just got off the phone with Pete Plumb of Pegasus Power.

Pete has spent the last three months desperately trying to find a machine shop that is able/willing to do the machining work on the ADI (Austempered Ductile Iron) crankshafts. He has spoken with hundreds and hundreds of machine shops.

Most of the shops are unwilling to work with this material, either it clogs up their cutting lubricant filters or creates some other issue. Many shops would not be interested in the smaller quantity he would be making. Then several other shops said that they could not do that many cranks (being prototype and super-short run shops).

Pete is 100% focused on finding the solution to this.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  12. Feb 14, 2019 #812

Monty

Monty

Monty

Iron is a pain.....it makes powdery abrasive chips that rust everything if using a water based coolant. The mixture abrades the ways, and clogs filters. Not surprised nobody wants to touch it. You almost need dedicated machines running oil based coolant..that means high volume. Does he absolutely have to use this material??? Can he not use steel instead?

Monty

dragon2knight and rv6ejguy like this.
  13. Feb 14, 2019 #813

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

14. Feb 15, 2019 #814

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I can say that Pete is looking into several work-arounds and options to get past this problem. Please believe me when I say this is his top priority, and he is very very much wanting to sell engines. His phone rings every day with someone offering to buy a kit or an engine if they are ready to ship.

The new, final crankcases are done, and perfect, and ready to go. No more revisions or tooling changes. The design is frozen.

The good news for homebuilders is that the experimental versions will be available for sale as soon as they are ready, regardless of whether the ASTM testing for the certified engine has been done by then. Pete understands that getting to market immediately is of paramount inportance, and he will not delay the E-AB engine kit waiting for the S-LSA engine certification or testing.

The E-AB engine kits should be available for sale at Oshkosh.

dragon2knight, KeithO and Topaz like this.
  15. Feb 15, 2019 #815

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

3 weeks ago Pete told me he had found a vendor willing to do the crank. Unsure if that was as is in ADI or Steel. I redid his CAD model for him to have casting drafts and he was soing his best to solve this. Hope they will be available soon.
    Marc

16. May 30, 2019 #816

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Any updates on progress?

Little Scrapper likes this.
  17. May 30, 2019 #817

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Odd you should dig up this old thread today. I had planned to text Pete today but my day got away from me. Will do it now and see what he says and report back.

18. May 30, 2019 #818

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

cool

19. May 30, 2019 #819

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Hello All,

I was unable to speak to Pete, but the lady I did speak to said he is just waiting on Cranks, but they should arrive within the next 2 weeks. It was a 6 week leadtime and its bit a bit over a month. Unsure how many he ordered but its enough to make a small run of engines and all the other parts are here and waiting. So its been a long wait and an uphill battle for Pete in many ways, but boy its looking close now.

akwrencher likes this.
  20. May 30, 2019 #820

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I suspect he is busy because my PM to him a couple days back has gone unanswered. I may end up calling him because I have some woodwork business for him soon.