Now THIS is an airspeed indicator!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

Had I known I was going to start an Internet fight I would have just kept that pic to myself. I thought it was neat and I still think it's practical for where numbers don't matter. Obviously a pitot-static ASI is better otherwise they wouldn't be the most popular type now.

I can say with certainty however (with around 200 PIC hours spread between Johnson and DH types) that they're not as flawed as Dan thinks. On the Tiger Moth there's a pitot system as well and it matches the sprung ASI knot for knot between 40 and 90 but I've always been too busy to look at it outside that range. Likewise, in the E-2 and J-2 they always read about 40 at takeoff, 45 in the climb and 50-55 in cruise regardless of temperature or station pressure. In other words, density altitude doesn't affect it at any different rate than it affects the wing's ability to produce lift, which is really the only thing the ASI is for on a puddle jumper anyways.

Dan, if we're ever around the same airport at the same time and the weather permits let's go for a ride and I can show you.
If it was good enough for the late Geoffrey de Havilland on the appropriate aircraft it's good enough for me:ban:

M

Manticore

All us low & slow pilots need now is for someone to design an altimeter as simple as that.

M

Manticore

In Tanzania, the only instruments a glider has to have are ASI & Altimeter. Simple ASI is fine. Altimeter I have no real use for. I just need something that will convince the CAA.

lurker

In Tanzania, the only instruments a glider has to have are ASI & Altimeter. Simple ASI is fine. Altimeter I have no real use for. I just need something that will convince the CAA.
i'm hoping someone can come up with a duct-tape and aluminum foil altimeter also. i'm not too concerned about sea level, but i might want to know how far away the ground (ok, and maybe the water) is.

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
All us low & slow pilots need now is for someone to design an altimeter as simple as that.
G6128D.jpg :gig:

It sounds strange but, technically speaking, there are NO required instruments for an EA/B in the U.S. ...Transponders and ELT's are only "As Required".
View attachment MINIMUM INSTRUMENT AND EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS.pdf

Common sense dictates otherwise and you'd have a hard sell with the DAR but altimeters and airspeed indicators aren't even required here.

Swampyankee

Had I known I was going to start an Internet fight I would have just kept that pic to myself. I thought it was neat and I still think it's practical for where numbers don't matter. Obviously a pitot-static ASI is better otherwise they wouldn't be the most popular type now.

I can say with certainty however (with around 200 PIC hours spread between Johnson and DH types) that they're not as flawed as Dan thinks. On the Tiger Moth there's a pitot system as well and it matches the sprung ASI knot for knot between 40 and 90 but I've always been too busy to look at it outside that range. Likewise, in the E-2 and J-2 they always read about 40 at takeoff, 45 in the climb and 50-55 in cruise regardless of temperature or station pressure. In other words, density altitude doesn't affect it at any different rate than it affects the wing's ability to produce lift, which is really the only thing the ASI is for on a puddle jumper anyways.

Dan, if we're ever around the same airport at the same time and the weather permits let's go for a ride and I can show you.
Hey, it's a cool picture.

I was just at Rhinebeck, and was more than a bit disappointed, not with the aircraft, but with how they're being stored. My daughter is studying curating decorative arts; she was quite appalled.

Group Builder