Now that we have experience....

Discussion in 'Classics' started by Mark Z, Apr 16, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

As I look through Barnstormer's it is obvious that unfinished dreams are there in abundance. All sorts; plastic, wood, rag and tube and even those whose wings rotate. But, as we have gained experience, my question has to do with the various airplanes kit or spam cans that comes to your mind. What is the best and worst of the predominant aircraft that we have experienced. For instance, I know that the early Lancairs had a small tail that was enlarged. How does the early Lancair or Glasair or whatever brand compare with the later and more "refined" versions? The early Cessna 210 was refined over the years into a great airplane whilst the Bonanza is basically the same from the beginning until now. Any comments as to what to look for and what to avoid? I'm basically trying to better educate myself on what is going to be out there in the next years.

2. Apr 16, 2013 #2

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

That's a pretty broad question. My only answer would be to read up a lot and be very careful who you believe. Lots of opinions, all too often incorrect. Question the motives of people you read from or talk to. Owners for example are often far too optimistic, ex-owners often far too pessimistic.
    Mechanics that have worked on particular aircraft are often one of the best sources of reasonable information. But only if they've worked on that particular aircraft, they're often just as opiniated on airframes they haven't worked on.
    Insurance quotes and the training they demand can also be a good source to rationally judge how complex an airframe is an how expensive a mess-up is.

3. Apr 16, 2013 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

Worse aircraft I have flown--- Piper T-tail Arrow. NO, I don't hate Pipers, if I could afford a twin, it would be a Piper Aztec. Dan

4. Apr 17, 2013 #4

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Bias is a great thing. I like an airplane that is fairly easy to mount or dismount. You step into a Bo and slide into a Mooney. I like the feel of flying a Mooney but of all the planes I have flown I think the 182 is the best all around handling. The easiest to fly is the Bo. My Champ is a great taildragger that is fairly docile whereas the T-18 is a bit trickier to keep straight on landing not to mention the deficit of creature comfort. Broad shouldered need not enter this one. But what about those plastic airplanes? I like fast, really fast when I have somewhere to go, but I also like comfort. I once was told that if all there were were Piper airplanes, he didn't think that he'd bother to fly at all...
    There will be homemade airplanes, those of one's dreams, on Barnstormer's for one reason or another and you certainly can buy much cheaper than you can build. I'm game to try as many as I safely can. It makes me want to cry to see all that time put into a Starduster to be sold on the net for obscenly low prices. Art in the airplane world is as cheap as I've ever seen it.

5. Aug 23, 2014 #5

59Manche

59Manche

59Manche

Worst airplane I ever flew was a Traumahawk. They were new at the time and I was curious. After renting them a few hours, I walked away knowing I'd never get in another one.....and haven't.

6. Aug 23, 2014 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Autoreply is correct. Opinions differ. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

As for my input, l'll give you some mixed examples. The Piper Tripacer is a good "get you there" plane, but not a real fun plane to fly. The single seat Teratorn Tierra was OK, but the two seater was heavy and sluggish. The single seat American Aerolights Eagle XL was fun to fly, but the two seater suffered from lateral imbalance issues.

7. Aug 24, 2014 #7

Workhorse

Workhorse

Workhorse

I've flown cherokees, archers and thought, why if the pawnee and pawnee brave are so accurate and responsive, are these so clumsy?. They are winged bricks imo and I agree, the aztec is a wonderful aircraft, responsive, sturdy, powerful. The aztec is the twin you want to be, it really gives you an absolute sense of safety. Not a toy, a real aircraft. USA35B for the record.