• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Now I've gone and done it....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I have a long term project going (two seat biplane) and a light single seater for cheap flying round the patch about halfway done - what am I doing buying the remains of a Fairchild 24R!??!?!

Yes, after not sleeping all night trying to talk myself out of it, I decided to pay the very reasonable asking price. I took a look at it at Flabob; as advertised it was a basket case - fuselage and landing gear fairly complete, only one wing (very bad) usable for patterns and hardware. Tail surfaces, struts, cowlings. No engine. But the fuselage alone looked good, almost all the stuff is there, including the wood (again, good for patterns). I love any airplane that has at least 20% of its empty weight in the landing gear and the Fairchild's is truly impressive! 6.50x 10 tires and the size of the tubing is mindboggling. This is an airplane the same gross weight as a 172, but it dwarfs the Cessna.

I have never heard anyone say one bad thing about the 24's and the fact that Ranger engines are still out there to be had at almost reasonable prices finally swayed me.

So if you have a barn full of 24R parts (maybe a right wing?) or any odds and ends that may be useful to me and useless to you, drop me a line.

Pictures coming soon.

Back