• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Not another jet project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC135DELTA

I know what your thinking, not another jet wana-be project. Trust me I said the same thing to myself. "can it really be done". Allthough others may not think so, i do. I am going to try to build a high-performance sub-sonic jet. I have two options.

1. Re-engine'd L-39. I essentially buy an L-39 airframe out of a crate, probably from an eastern bloc country, strip it down to nothing, complete disassembly and removal of EVERYTHING until we get down to just two wings, a fuse, a tail section and a crap load of parts. Then essentially rebuild the airplane with new everything, avionics, wiring, interior, controls and a low time TFE-731 turbofan with a small APU. The "new" (hehe, not quite) engine will increase thrust to 4,080 - 4,660 lbs (depending on the model) over the AI-25TL's 3,800 or so pounds of thrust. It will also lower fuel consumption by 30-60 gallons an hour! With the way Jet-A prices are going it will pay for it's-self. Also the AI-25TL's spool speed is somtimes over 12 seconds! The TFE will lower that to about 5-6 seconds. New lighter avionics/oxygen systems/hydraulics and all the iteams that were removed in the strip down that are no longer needed will significantly lower the weight of the plane, so shorter take off's, faster climb-outs, faster cruise speeds, lower fuel consumption, and more power on bad landing situations :ban: yay!

2. Build an all new airplane using a cheap (60k) J-85 engine like the viperjet.

I think I could do the first one on 800k and the second on 1mil.

My biggest concern is, do you think option one would fit the %51 rule so I can get less strict operations? (assuming I do all the work)???

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Drew,

Back