• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Nose gear door mechanisms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a few questions regarding gear doors, specifically nose gear at the moment. I'm looking for a very simple mechanism that doesn't require a lot of fiddly adjustment to work properly. The BD-5 style dual fold is one option but I'd prefer a clam shell style with the hinges longitudinally to help reduce drag with the gear down. A Google search finds plenty of gear door mechanisms, but most are for far larger and more complex aircraft. I did find this from a Nimbus glider:
gear4.jpg

I presume that the spring attaches to the little eye hook for retract and the gear door is pushed open by the bumpers on the side of the gear strut? This looks to be simple and light. I'm not too sure how hard it is going to be to adapt to a steering nose gear. Anyone have any other options that they could share? I'd prefer to stay with a pure mechanical system but RC servo motors might be an option.

How important is a good seal to the performance of the gear door with regard to reduced drag? And third, what is a "good" seal. The nose gear box won't be well sealed. It's there more to keep field mice out of the pilots lap during ground roll.

Back