Noob building a weedhopper

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

whackstar

Hi Everyone, i've dipped into this forum from time to time but this is my first post to introduce myself. I'm currently working towards my PPL and in the process of building a weedhopper with my friend in Kenya. https://www.gofundme.com/buildaircraftafrica. I've joined the forum in the hope that other aircraft builders might be able to share insights. I"m willing to listen and learn. Many thanks, Wayne

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am also confused by your Go Fund Me site which makes it sound like you are coming up with a new design "prototype" (the Weedhopper is more than 40 years old), like building a one-off homebuilt aircraft is the same as creating a "light aircraft building company," or like you are the first to build a homebuilt aircraft in Kenya (I used to live there and there are already many).

Victor Bravo

IMHO let's not be too harsh here with a brand new participant... Wayne / whackstar can you provide a little info explaining exactly what you are doing, whether the Weedhopper is or is not a new prototype, etc.?

Turd Ferguson

If you are following John Chotia's design, that would be the Weedhopper II.

There were some spin-offs of the design like this Pegasus AX 2000 which looks more like the design you rippe....er I mean copied.

weedhopper.jpg

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
IMHO let's not be too harsh here with a brand new participant... Wayne / whackstar can you provide a little info explaining exactly what you are doing, whether the Weedhopper is or is not a new prototype, etc.?
Let me second this comment. Let's not rush to judgement. I can think of a dozen reasons why a picture of an existing aircraft might be used in this way although, whackstar, some disclosure of that fact would be nice.

If anyone feels that this is not on the up-and-up, then don't provide any funding through the GoFundMe account. It's pretty much that simple. If you're worried about "other people," let them make up their own minds. Given how much this has been funded to date (£20 total, from two donors, over eleven months), this isn't exactly a get-rich quick scheme.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I hope Chops is taking notes on this approach...

whackstar

Hi guys I sense there is apprehension in this thred about the legitimacy in this project. For which I can understand. To shed a little light. I'm never going to be able to afford a 172 that i'm currently learning to fly in but I would like to have access to an affordable aircraft.. A friend of mine has had this dream about building an aircraft for years. He actually built an aircraft while he was a university. No experience or training just attempted todo so and managed to fly for 30seconds. We are a little older and now and we know the weedhooper is tried and tested. We have blueprints and are slowly buying parts to get us to the point we are ready to fly. There is no ultra light category in Kenya so we will have to modify and get it certified by KAA. We are hoping to manufacture the frame and canvas in Kenya. The engine and flight controls will require oversea's parts but its a starting point. The go fund me is to see if we can get to our goal quicker but in a nutshell i'm putting a little away each month to keep the project ticking over. Where I work I have access to a small airfield so the dream is to be able to leisure fly from that airstrip http://kenyawebcam.com/cam.pl?cam=turiwebcam

whackstar

Thanks for those of you who gave me a chance to share. Wasn't expecting such a backlash so quickly. As I said willing to listen and learn.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think it's great, hopefully you can get a few other locals on board and build a club. If anything just get together and draw pictures band talk. Something. It doesn't matter what as long as you slowly keep moving the ball.

Don't worry about the backlash, focus on your mission.

whackstar

I think it's great, hopefully you can get a few other locals on board and build a club. If anything just get together and draw pictures band talk. Something. It doesn't matter what as long as you slowly keep moving the ball.

Don't worry about the backlash, focus on your mission.
Thanks Little Scrapper, we actually have a couple of guys who work on engines and have offered to help us when we get to that stage. I'm planning to to an update video at some point will post when it's done.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nice job with the video.

[video=youtube_share;0nQ218XZtPQ]https://youtu.be/0nQ218XZtPQ[/video]