Non- Biased Engine Reviews -Aeromomentum

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
At this point, I kind of feel bad for asking the question. As a rule, I tend to avoid posting things that might endanger a mans livelihood over a bad personal experience, and that includes my own (very negative) experience with a (not relevant to this discussion) rebuilder. Since I know the guy has done a lot of engines that are flying fine, I keep my mouth shut since I was probably one of the very few who have had a bad experience over the years. The trouble is that people repeat what they have read as though it happened to them, and business get destroyed. Before long, its all, "hey, what do you think about so and so?" "Na, you don't want to use them, guy had real problem with those guys". Happens all the time online.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The trouble is that people repeat what they have read as though it happened to them, and business get destroyed. Before long, its all, "hey, what do you think about so and so?" "Na, you don't want to use them, guy had real problem with those guys". Happens all the time online.
Hopefully, folks who are happy, or who have other perspectives on their Aeromomentum aircraft engine/PSRU (or even the analogous Zukipower airboat units) might chime in here. That would be great.
One buyer's experience is useful, but I'm sure Oliver would allow that the larger the (valid) reporting base, the more reliable the conclusions can be.
And, like any other feedback, unhappy customers are more passionate (and likely to provide inputs) than satisfied ones. It's just the way we are generally wired...

Last edited:

Oliver

[...] As a rule, I tend to avoid posting things that might endanger a mans livelihood over a bad personal experience [...]
Believe it or not, I am the same and feel somewhat bad sharing my rather negative experiences.
Then again, I also feel bad that I know of several others who (at least partially) went with Aeromomentum because I kept all of my negative impressions for years to myself, as I wanted to protect Mark, when I posted status updates in the Zenith forum and on YouTube.

This video, for example, had over 13k views, before I unlisted it:
Clipboard01.jpg

[...] One buyer's experience is useful, but I'm sure Oliver would allow that the larger the (valid) reporting base, the more reliable the conclusions can be. [...]
Agreed. Things might have changed since I started working with Mark and he actually stated that he is now using some different components. So, who knows.
Most of it is also in his own hands - if his claims are true, he could easily proof me wrong and turn this rather negative thread into a great promotion for himself and his engines, simply by posting some factual information about his airboat testing as well his fwf kits.

Personally, a part of me wants to be proven wrong, as this would mean that I haven't been fooled, that my initial impressions were actually right and that he is indeed a good, honest engineer, who simply struggles with marketing and the management of projects.

Oliver

Mark and I spoke today for 1.5 hours, it seems like things have improved for the better.
Here is the update, from great to not so great. @aeromomentum please correct me if I got anything wrong.

• Mark wants to make sure that the buyer of our engine is happy with it. He therefore offered to swap our Zenith 750 engine mount as well as the the cowling for 701 components for free. Big kudos to him for offering this!
  • He launched a new cowling for the Zenith 750 which actually fits. It is now made of fiberglass.
  • Many engine components as well as the fwf kit have been improved.
  • Testing on airboats started in 2013 with his AM13, as shown in the video he posted.
  • Initially, a different reduction drive was used.
  • He later also started selling the AM15 to airboat customers.
  • Eventually a new reduction drive was introduced. I did not ask when exactly this transition happened.
  • The AM15 high performance variant has seen only limited airboat use, the highest time AM15 HP is installed in a RV12 with about 400 hrs on it.
  • The AM20T has not been installed on an airboat yet but has accumulated around 100 hours on the dyno.
  • Overall, the airboat market has shrunk significantly, what will make airboat testing of future engines difficult.
  • Mark is in contact with only a few airboat customers, he therefore has only very limited photos, videos or other data available.
We went in circles regarding my understanding of his past claims regarding airboat testing, according to which he, from my perspective, implied that any new engine will be extensively tested in airboats, before it would be launched. He however said that he never even implicitly made such statements.
I also suggested that he should stay in contact with his airboat customers to get pictures, videos and to gain valuable data (otherwise he wouldn't even know if the airboat is just rotting away in a shed or if the engine has been replaced).
We agreed to disagree on both of these topics.

Oliver

Last edited: