• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Non approved parts on normal category airplanes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59Manche

I've read something on this, but can't remember where I saw it. Is it true that after January 2015, an owner of a normal category airplane can put non TSO'd or PMA'd parts on legally? Seems like I read it would be legal as long as the aircraft wasn't used commercially, which in the case of a single means part 135 to me. If the aircraft was to return to commercial service, the unapproved parts would have to come off.

My interest in this is for ventilation mods and possible future IFR avionics that are only available for homebuilts now.

Anyone familiar with this, or am I experiencing early signs of dementia?

Steve

Back