• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Noise reduction methods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamP

I've been reading about articles about how for delivery drones and EVTOLs to see widespread use, they need to address how noisy they are. Trying to think of ways to make them quieter.
Reducing propeller speed is probably the biggest. I would imagine that would mean more blades for a given engine / motor. This is probably first order. Would one big motor be quieter than many motors?
How about airframes? A more efficient airframe means that you would need less power to push it through the air. Would a conventional design be less quiet than a flying wing?

I've read that morphing wings reduce noice because there are no gaps from the ailerons and flaps, which create a lot of noise.

Other ways to make airplanes in general more quiet?

Back