No 8 nut wrench size.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

Ok, I confess something: I have no idea what size wrench fits on a No8 nut. Yes, yes, I know, stop laughing. But seriously - no socket or wrench (imperial) among the hundreds I have lying around fits a No8 nut. For decades I have always resorted to a 9mm . It's not 11/32" (big)and it's not 5/16" (small) . There is no consensus on this on the interwebs. Wrench sizes suggested vary from 1/4" to 3/8". I have plenty of 9mm sized sockets and wrenches plus a few I custom ground to fit. But what is the proper size? 21/64"??

nerobro

Log Member
The sad answer, is that there "is no answer" You can order all sorts of "across the flats" sizes for various thread sizes. You can also order different nut thicknesses.

You'll need to guess and check.

Alternatively, the part you're trying to mess with, has an abused fastener, and you're just going to need to get something adjustable on it.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, the MS20144 spec says an 8-32 nut is .336-.345 across the flats, so I'd say 11/32 (.344). But there are lots of non standard nuts out there, too.

Dana

Rockiedog2

I've been using 11/32 forever it's not a perfect fit but it's as close as a 3/8 on a #10 nut with my wrenches. a tiny bit of slop. I never gave it any thought; I just thought it was a given.

Eagle

A box of #8 nuts I have measures about .336 and 11/32 is .3438 so an 11/32s wrench fits these perfectly.

I'm reasonably sure that you can get nuts that vary in external dimensions from different manufacturers.

I have been known to take a smaller wrench on occasion and file it to size to meet a special need.

DSCN4656.jpg

Dan Thomas

#8 nuts take an 11/32" wrench. Now, you need a decent wrench, too, since so many tools are made in countries that don't care too much for accuracy. When you get that small, a couple of thou can make a big difference in fit.

Daleandee

Ok, I confess something: I have no idea what size wrench fits on a No8 nut. Yes, yes, I know, stop laughing. But seriously - no socket or wrench (imperial) among the hundreds I have lying around fits a No8 nut. For decades I have always resorted to a 9mm.
Try an 8.5mm if you have such a thing, especially if the nut has some wear on it.

I have 4.5, 5.5, & 6.5 mm but no 8.5. Don't know how difficult it would be to find one to try. Like you, and most every one else, I grab all the ones that should fit and see what works at the time. Dan made an excellent point about being sure you have a quality tool.

Dale
N319WF

Victor Bravo

I always used 8/32 too... there has to be some gap or clearance so you can slide the wrench on under less than ideal conditions.

There is also the politically incorrect but completely technically valid issue of... wrench origin.

PTAirco

Hm, i just got a batch of 8/32s from Aircraft Spruce and 11/32" fits just fine. I had a huge stock of older ones and they must have been something of an oddity, because these newer ones work fine with 11/32".

Pops

Log Member
Ah, Ah.--- The all purpose adjustable metric wrench. Heck , I can't say that, metric now means "measurement". Wouldn't want to hurt someone's feeling when they are out of their safe space.

Dan

Yes, metric instead of "measurement", It sounds so European, has to be better. Same for using "tarmac" instead of ramp. Did you ever ask to taxie to the "tarmac" ? TARMAC - Airport Apron Area

Using these terms makes it easy to guess the users age.

Group Builder