Quantcast

Nick Pelhan's VP-1

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
A friend of mine, Nick Pelhan, just flew the maiden flight of his pride and joy VP-1!

It took Nick 4 years to build this airplane, ...have some kids ...and get deployed a couple of times (he's an Air Force V-22 Flight Engineer) I had the privilege of being Nick's Tech Counselor for this airplane.

I believe this is the prettiest VP I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty VP's;)

1412559151.jpg Congratulations Nick!

FritzW

Log Member
...You don't see many Vertex magneto installations anymore, very old school. ;-)

He kept pretty true to the Volksplane spirit. He treated it kind of like an old car restoration "build it like they built them in 1968"

Vertex mags are nice (I had one on my VP) but they've just about priced themselves out of the market.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
He kept pretty true to the Volksplane spirit. He treated it kind of like an old car restoration "build it like they built them in 1968"

Vertex mags are nice (I had one on my VP) but they've just about priced themselves out of the market.
Agreed, the Vertex just shouldn't be so darn expensive. I did a series of engine-related posts for cluttonfred.info including asking Steve Bennett and others for their advice. I settled on a good old Bosch 009 distributor, motorcycle battery and an alternator or wind-driven generator as the simple, affordable solution.

RJW

I have a VP1 project for sale if anybody is interested. It was built many years ago and I am almost certain I will never finish it—very nice workmanship. Basically all it needs on the airframe is to have the bottom of the fuse closed and fabric put on the wings (fabric included). It comes with everything to finish except landing gear, FWF, and instruments. Pretty much all the expensive hardware including the struts is included too. Asking $1000.

One of these days I will get serious about listing/selling it. Anybody interested?

Rob

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I see that Nick's plane does not have cable bracing on the landing gear. Did he use the thicker Grove gear? The lack of braces and the wheel pants give a nice, updated look.

FritzW

Log Member
I see that Nick's plane does not have cable bracing on the landing gear. Did he use the thicker Grove gear? The lack of braces and the wheel pants give a nice, updated look.
I should have mentioned that. He did use the free standing gear from Grove. It cost him an extra 8 pounds and $400 over the cable braced gear but it really cleaned things up. ...and it's better gear. The cable braced gear doesn't handle much inward side load. By the time you replace the cables with tubes to handle the side loads, the lighter and cheaper gear isn't so light and cheap and it adds a bunch of drag.

Kip

Fritz,

I used to fly CV-22s with Nick when he owned his Cheetah. Would love to contact both of you to get more info on his VP-1. Thanks...

Respectfully,
Kip Giles

FritzW

Log Member
Hi Kip,

Shoot me a PM and I'll make sure we all get in contact. (Click on the "FritzW" above my VP avitar and click "Private Message", send me your email address)

Fritz

EDIT: I guess it'd be easier for me to just PM you. :gig: