NH3 hydrogen storage for aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tspear

Supporting Member
I missed the cheaper than avgas. I read where that is the target, but not the actual implementation yet.
Also, they did not include the fuel cell itself, or the ICE which burns hydrogen in the calculations. Both of which last I looked are significantly more expensive.

I like the concept, as for the reality? If they can move fast enough it might be viable for commercial trucks. They have a much greater sensativity to weight than passenger vehicles, and also have a much lower idle time to charge. However, that is a shortish window.

Tim

PMD

I missed the cheaper than avgas. I read where that is the target, but not the actual implementation yet.
Also, they did not include the fuel cell itself, or the ICE which burns hydrogen in the calculations. Both of which last I looked are significantly more expensive.

I like the concept, as for the reality? If they can move fast enough it might be viable for commercial trucks. They have a much greater sensativity to weight than passenger vehicles, and also have a much lower idle time to charge. However, that is a shortish window.

Tim
It is fairly simple to run spark ignition engines on light gasses, I expect no real issues with pure H2. I am aware of several CI designs that have used H2 very successfully as a substitute fuel, and one design that was used to demonstrate that an ICE could produce the required power to move vehicle on the same amount of H2 needed just to cool the originally proposed fuel cells.