• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newbie...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcolmW

Hello, I’m a pilot working on an IFR rating and curious about the world of experimental aircraft. I’ve looked over some of the postings and may have some comments – hopefully helpful. As a child, I build several model aircraft and flew them until they crashed. I repaired them until they wouldn’t fly. It was fun!

I’ve had three careers (that dratted restructuring!), starting in research, then in banking and ended up running my own consulting business primarily as owner’s representative on construction projects. Along the way, I’ve had fun with fast cars, sailboats and lots of home repair. I guess I’m useful with my hands, which is one of the reasons experimental aircraft fascinate me.

However, I find that few experimental aircraft truly use leading edge technology, which puzzles me. I don’t understand why more usage is not made of contemporary aircraft design and construction practices. Yes, I understand why Lycoming and Continental engines rule the certified aircraft field, plus I understand the limitations of auto derived engines. Yet, there are other avenues – to me – that should have potential.

I fly Cessna aircraft (several types) and I know their design is dated. Even aircraft like the Cirrus does not embody contemporary aircraft technology. So, this is likely to be a learning experience for me. However, I’m willing to share whatever knowledge and technology I have that might prove useful to others in this field.

That's enough!

Back