• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newbie in Maine...been hanging out a while!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emichaels

In Maine, a bit N of Portland and New at all of this. 61 y/o, retired machine designer. I have to say I have never entered into a hobby (others are wooden boat building/sailing, astronomy/astrophotography, knife making) that has Soooo many acronyms!!

Have only been up in a small plane. maybe 5x. But it has always been in the back of my mind to build something to fly and now that time has landed. I will begin at the beginning, I suppose, with an Airbike 103 compliant (plans in hand). I also have the plans in hand for FFP Tiger Moth 80 (love those bi-winged planes).

Of course I will begin pilot training, likely down in Sanford ME where they have a tail dragger and a nice stable of very experienced CFIs. Once that is accomplished I think I would also like to add a plane such as a Kitfox STi or Super STOL form Just Aircraft. Would like to set that up for water landings as we have a LOT of coastline and bays/harbors/islands to explore!

I am not too proud to ask really stupid questions and I do hope you will NOT be gentle with the answers (as I am kinda hardheaded or slow--depends who you ask.....)

Eric

Back