• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newbee? TIG not Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Armstrong

I've been asking questions concerning TIG/Gas welding in the 'Shop Tips and Secrets' section so far, but I thought I would post this one in the 'Beginners' section as it seems more appropriate here.

Once again (sorry, I need to start noting where I read this stuff for reference) I've read some postings about welding that have brought up yet another question for the more experienced welders (I have very little) on this Forum, thanks.

There 'seems' to be a much broader learning curve involved with Gas welding as opposed to TIG. What I mean is, I have read several times that folks that have opted to Gas weld were glad they had started their welding sequence at the tail (as they should for alignment/heat warpage purposes from what I understand) because by the time they ended up at the front of their project they were producing much 'better'/'nicer' looking welds that they wish they had been producing from the beginning. However, I also have read that those that pick up a TIG rig and start welding are amazed at how fast they can pick up the skill to produce excellent welds from the start and not have the same regrets at the end.

Not that the initial Gas welds were not acceptable but in the context of 'my next build will be so much better' or 'if I had to do it over again but it's too late for this one', it would seem that those that TIG weld have a much shorter learning curve and much less chance of disapointment in their project outcome overall.

Now, I know that through practice, practice, practice, the skill to produce a Gas weld that looks at the start of a project as nice as the ones at the end can eventually be achieved but how long can one expect to spend doing so to avoid the 'next time' dissapointment factor?. Can all that be more readily avoided by just TIG welding your project to begin with? Is the learning curve that much less for the newer and popular TIG welding process and hence the greater the chance of satisfaction in your finished project?

I also know any little home project I've done involves a learning curve and nine times out of ten my last few tasks look/are better than when I first began, but I would really like to avoid having 'too' many 'rookie regrets' when it comes to building my aircraft. As important as this dream of building my own airplane is to me, if I can readily lessen the chances of certain dissapointments, be it choosing a better wing covering system, corrosion protection or in this case choosing to TIG rather than Gas weld my fuse, shouldn't I do so?

No, I dont think TIG is the end all of welding 4130 nor do I think that Gas welding is inferior but in the hands of a 'newbee' it would seem that TIG might be the best way to go. Am I wrong?

Mike

Last edited:
Back