Newb from Las Vegas!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

CaptainCoyote

Hello! I am a married father of 2 living the fiery hell of Las Vegas, NV. I'm an IT professional who is currently on COVID furlough looking at other employment options. Once I am financially stable again I very much want to get back to flying. Try as I might it is a love I could never shake.

I started flight training in 1991 in hopes of becoming an airline pilot. I got my PPL and was well on my way to commercial and instrument ratings when Clinton downsized the military by 8000 pilots. At this same time Delta laid off 10,000 and I got very discouraged. I changed my major to IT stuff, a decision I have regretted ever since, and told myself I would still fly for fun. That held true until I got married and my new wife thought it would be a better idea to spend money on houses, cars, and children rather than an hour of flying here and there.

Depending on how well my new career pays I have a few targets for what I would like to fly next:

-Ultimate (realistic-ish) goal would to build a Zenith CH701 with a Viking 90
-If that is not in the cards I may look at something like a Challenger II build or good used one
-If that is still too much I may look at building a Badland Aircraft ultralight (right around the corner from me). The cost of the aircraft would be similar to a used Challenger II, but storage would be so much cheaper with the folding wings that would let me take it home.
-As a minimal option something like a used Challenger U/L or other sub $10k craft would be my target

I am open to other suggestions but we'll see where life takes me.

The photo is of me with my Dad (the greatest Dad ever who funded this ungrateful little turd's flying dreams, among other pursuits like skiiing and ice hockey) and my nephews going for a flight as my first passengers as a licensed pilot. I had been licensed for one full week at this point. My Mom was my next passenger and after that it was a slew of girls because it is really easy to get a date when you say "Let's grab some dinner and go flying!" 😁

Attachments

Bille Floyd

The photo is of me with my Dad (the greatest Dad ever who funded this ungrateful little turd's flying dreams, among other pursuits like skiiing and ice hockey) and my nephews going for a flight as my first passengers as a licensed pilot. I had been licensed for one full week at this point. My Mom was my next passenger and after that it was a slew of girls because it is really easy to get a date when you say "Let's grab some dinner and go flying!" 😁
You won't be able to take your family flying with ya ; if you go the ultralight
route . Growing up as a youngster, (many Moons ago) ; flying with Dad, was
a Really Big Deal to me!!

That was coming from a Rigid-wing hang glider pilot ; who
can thank his Dad, for my flying addiction !

Bille

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Howdy Cap'n, welcome to HBA. We are glad to have you here.

If its capabilities meet your flying mission, the CH-701 is a perfectly good choice, because it has been built many times by people with very few tools, not a huge mount of experience, etc. All you need to do, before anything else, is define what that mission is. That can be harder than building the actual airplane :)

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Welcome! I routinely fly my Rocket from the fiery hell of Mojave to the fiery hell of VGT for weekend getaways. Maybe we can tag up sometime on one of my trips and discuss "mission". Mine has evolved a bunch over the years - perhaps I can give you some insight on the early path decisions.

CaptainCoyote

Thanks guys! My "mission" is pretty simple: Get in the air, do a lot of sightseeing, maybe go for a $100 hamburger here and there. I have been watching a Youtube series on building a CH 750 and it seems very doable and fun - if I can find the space and money. My wife really isn't into it, and would probably resist the kids flying with me until she saw that I kept going out and coming back alive for a good while. She was always scared of small planes and her claustrophobia in the tight quarters of a C150 really didn't help. I have wondered whether an open air Challenger II would be better or worse for her. It should lower the claustrophobia, which heightens her anxiety about everything, but it's going to seem like an even more fragile machine (because it is)

The main reason I have looked at ultralights is that they are cheaper, will save me on retraining and maintenance, and I will be alone for a while anyway. If she saw that I could fly an ultralight for a year and not die maybe she would see upgrading to a full fledged airplane as a safety upgrade and be open to spending the money and to giving it a shot in the passenger seat.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
That held true until I got married and my new wife thought it would be a better idea to spend money on houses, cars, and children rather than an hour of flying here and there.
My wife really isn't into it
She was always scared of small planes
I'm not a licensed therapist,even though I seem to play one throughout life for everyone else, but I think I've pin-pointed your problem.
Btw.......that'll be $100 please.....lol

I'm just having some fun with you over that so don't take the comment too serious.....lol
Really glad to see that you're getting back into aviation,we've all been waiting on you to show up.

Kevin

pwood66889

Welcome aboard, Cap'n. When my IT career ended, I went to A&P school! Took 2 years out of my life, but gained me 9 years at good wages!
Now retired to (where else?) Florida.

CaptainCoyote

I'm not a licensed therapist,even though I seem to play one throughout life for everyone else, but I think I've pin-pointed your problem.
Btw.......that'll be $100 please.....lol

I'm just having some fun with you over that so don't take the comment too serious.....lol
Really glad to see that you're getting back into aviation,we've all been waiting on you to show up.

Kevin
You have no idea how right you are. I always told her I would get back into it sooner or later but now that the kids are getting older (our youngest is a high school sophomore) I have really started talking about it to try and prepare her for the day I have to tell her I bought something. It never goes over well so I might have to choose between flying or her, and that's tough because I will miss her! 🤣

As for your $100 I totally mailed you a check. Should be there any day.

BJC

HBA Supporter
You have no idea how right you are. I always told her I would get back into it sooner or later but now that the kids are getting older (our youngest is a high school sophomore) I have really started talking about it to try and prepare her for the day I have to tell her I bought something. It never goes over well so I might have to choose between flying or her, and that's tough because I will miss her! 🤣
A co-worker (ME) loved sailing, and had, with his wife, planned to retire after their kids were out of college, buy a boat, and go sailing. When the day came, she refused to go. He said, “Good bye.”

She served divorce papers on him about 2 years later when he berthed in a marina on the Florida west coast.

BJC

Bille Floyd

The main reason I have looked at ultralights is that they are cheaper, will save me on retraining and maintenance, and I will be alone for a while anyway. If she saw that I could fly an ultralight for a year and not die maybe she would see upgrading to a full fledged airplane as a safety upgrade and be open to spending the money and to giving it a shot in the passenger seat.
Do you care , what kind of machine, gets ya airborne ; if not
then would you consider a sailplane ?

There is a club in Jean Nv , (about 25 miles South of Vegas) on
the 15, and it would be a Cheap /Fun way, to get yourself into the
air. The soaring season here is about to start !! There is a SGS 1-26 D
for sale on wings & wheels, for $ 4.5-K ; you could possibly, rent it back
to the club and pay no maintenance, or hanger fees .

I was a member of that club in 1998 ; went back to Hang gliders
because it was cheaper , (but WAY more dangerous) .

Bille

Last edited:

CaptainCoyote

Bille
Not a bad idea but I would feel a lot more comfortable in a powered 3 axis machine.

delta

Welcome and good luck to you with everything. EAA chapter 163 used to be a great place to chew the fat. http://eaa163.com/ I've been away from there for 20 years, but the 30 years I spent in Vegas were unique to say the least.
They used to give ultralight instruction in Jean also. No clue if they still do, but that brief dual instruction was literally a life saver.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Bille
And make a better powered airplane pilot out of you.
I used to own a SCS 1-26, a 1956 that came in a kit. N47MS

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Not a bad idea but I would feel a lot more comfortable in a powered 3 axis machine.

The 1-26 is already 3 axis, so you're in good shape there.

As for the other requirement, I challenge you to find any power source that is more reliable, or powerful, than gravity :)

Gliders are an incredible and beautiful way to fly. You should take advantage of the great soaring weather in Vegas/Jean and try it.

BUT, if your mission is the $100 burger, and occasionally taking your wife to lunch in Kingman, even I would have to admit a glider is not the way to go.

Bille Floyd

Thanks Guys ; i was a bit reluctant, to hit post reply, on my last post !

Unlike that ultralight dream the OP mentioned ; he can take his kids flying
with him , (after he has a sailplane licence) !

Bille

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
In all seriousness, I have to ask......
Does your wife have the personality type that if she doesn't enjoy it then nobody is allowed to enjoy it ?
Or is she the type that just doesn't want any money expended unless it's for something that she wants ?

Not trying to be too personal by asking...but each situation has different outcomes.

Kevin

CaptainCoyote

In all seriousness, I have to ask......
Does your wife have the personality type that if she doesn't enjoy it then nobody is allowed to enjoy it ?
Or is she the type that just doesn't want any money expended unless it's for something that she wants ?

Not trying to be too personal by asking...but each situation has different outcomes.

Kevin
She's the type who doesn't like to die or have her husband die. She seemed to get more scared as time went by, not less, and was very relieved when I stopped flying. I have shown her how common 1946 Ercoupes are to show her that small planes can fly for a long time without incident and she understood that, but she's still scared because it isn't a rational fear for her, she just feels it.

If I fly with people it will be more likely to be the kids, which will scare her too. And my Dad will go, he would fly anywhere with me and love it.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This is very simple, we've discussed this before on HBA.

Tell your wife that you were thinking about taking up flying as a hobby again, but three of your good old boy friends were also talking to you about forming a men's travel club to visit the different bars and nightclubs in exotic places like Bangkok, Tijuana, and Copenhagen.

Works like a charm.