New Wood Supplier in MO

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by Tantrum1, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 #1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Hey guys, I got chatting with a guy that owns a sawmill and has started producing aircraft quality wood products from ASH. I haven't seen any of it, but he really seems to have a passion for aviation and is building a couple of wooden aircraft. Also i'm of the understanding that he may have bought the rights to a few homebuilt models, offering blueprints for sale, with intentions to supply wood kits for the models they have. I've chatted with him a few times and he seems very keen on suppling a quality product at a fair price. If anybody has used his products please chime in with your experiences. The company is Wooden Aviation and they have a website. His name is Patrick

www.woodenaviation.com

Anyhow, I thought it pretty cool to see what he's doing and thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks
    Mark

TerryM76 likes this.
  2. May 16, 2019 #2

hiroyoshi

hiroyoshi

hiroyoshi

Many WW1 fighters used ash as longerons, notably the SPAD VII and XIII. It's a bit heavier than spruce, but the weight penalty isn't that severe.

I'll be buying from him when I start on the fuselage of my Barracuda.

Tantrum1 likes this.
  3. May 16, 2019 #3

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

He's made a few subtle plugs here, which is fine by me. I'm glad to see someone stepping in to provide alternatives. Our little market apparently can't compete with the huge buyers of spruce that suck up all of the supply. There are several other woods that make for reasonable substitutes, so it would be nice to see those marketed.

My Taylor Monoplane plans call for ash for curved, laminated members: wing tip bows, rudder trailing edge, etc. This usage plays to ash's strengths.

Tantrum1 likes this.
  4. May 16, 2019 #4

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Yeah, I just noticed today that he's posted some stuff. I just think its cool to see real aviation buffs, step up and help supply a product that is driven towards us "little" guys.