new use for high speed router

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by expedition2166, Apr 26, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

i know theres a few guys out there looking for a ''easy'' way to grind out notches for tight tube work well by accident i have found a decent way to do it relatively easy theres alot of us tinkerers with old high speed hand routers well most have a 1/4 in shank (unless you got a bigun ) and theres alot of high speed stones for air tools that are 1/4 shank any diameter you'll need and just flip your router over pop it in clamp a fence to the base and grind away and makes a almost perfect cut since the stone is round and the same size as what your notching sort of a ''ghetto'' way of doin it but hey it beats the angle grinder method and air grinder method if your compressor is like mine making the lights dim when it kicks on it might save a few bucks in the long run and its nice clean sharp cut you could even make you a few wedges of different angles so you can do complex cuts

just something to think about

AND
    no I'm not saying tube notchers arnt the best way
    but if your notching a few tubes then why spend the money when you can rig up a lil contraption out of stuff you may already have and this works surprisingly well

2. Apr 26, 2008 #2

cgwendling

cgwendling

cgwendling

While this sounds like the cats meow, there is one very real drawback. The non variable speed routers operate from 22,000 to 30,000 RPM and the variable speed ones usually can go from as low as 8000 to as high as 30,000 RPM. Now having said that, make darn sure the stones you are using can handle the rpms.
    When they explode they can and have caused real damage. I have first hand knowledge.:ermm:

3. Apr 26, 2008 #3

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

most definitely agreed there, my old porter cable only turns at 10,000 on a good day and its rated no higher then that and the stones would have to be high speed stones 10,000-15,000 rated which a good majority of air grinder stones are rated to but with any high speed tool there is a very real inherit danger all safety precautions and equipment (eye glasses!!! and hearing protection!!!! etc. ) should be used with all power equipment all the time !

4. Aug 4, 2010 #4

flugtek

flugtek

flugtek

FYI harbor freight has router speed contollers for $10 if I remember right. I use them on all kids of stuff though even a shop vac when I want to tone it down a little. That would be a good way to control the speed.

I think I'll try that router idea, thanks.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #5

roverjohn

roverjohn

roverjohn

I may have to make a plexi guard parallel to the top of my router table and try this. Prolly just mount it to the top of my fence.
    Thanks

6. Aug 10, 2010 #6

RM23956

RM23956

RM23956

Along the same line, remember never to stand in front of a bench grinder until it comes up to speed, and try to stand off to the side when grinding on one. Ive seen a wheel explode and go through two concrete block walls.