• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New U/L Manufacturer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
A year or so ago, I talked with a guy (Andy) that was planning to make and sell a revolutionary new U/L with spectacular performance. He was pretty secretive about it at the time. But now he's posted it for all to see. I've attached a picture of it from his new web site, and his announcement below: SneddenM7.com - The Next Generation Ultralight

I offered my congratulations to him, and wished him success. How does he keep so much Hp and thrust from exceeding the U/L speed limit, you might ask? He uses an "active speed control system", that works like a governor, reducing throttle as the plane reaches 63 mph.

When he first proposed that idea, I poured over FAR Part 103 and AC103-7 to find out if an active speed control system might be legal. Andy and I debated the issue thoroughly, quoting the regulations. I took the position that it was probably illegal. But he's sure it's legal. It was an interesting and educational debate. He planned to market his active speed control system in addition to the plane.

We can critique Andy's new design here if you want. Here's his announcement:

Press Release:

Snedden M7 Advanced Ultralight

The Snedden M7 is a new type of fixed wing ultralight vehicle that is more exciting, more powerful, stronger, and safer and is equipped with a new type of people friendly control system. The Snedden M7 is truly the ultralight reinvented and it has many new features, concepts and look that defy comparison to any other aircraft or ultralight vehicle. The M7 ultralight is now undergoing flight tests. This revolutionary new ultimate thrill machine has a 3 second ground roll, awesome climb angle, maneuverability and controllable straight ahead stall characteristics with no wing drop. People fly for fun and the Snedden M7 is number one! See SneddenM7.com - The Next Generation Ultralight

The Snedden M7 is a very durable, cable braced, four wheel, float optional, complex low aspect ratio mid wing, semi compact, STO (short take off) ultralight design with up sweep wing tips, an unmistakable large inverted V-tail equipped with large anti-servo flaps, a three (3) second ground roll and a very steep climb angle with the wing chord at 45 degrees to the horizon. The M7 is a two blade tractor (70 inch diameter Powerfin “F” type with modified 2.6:1 cog belt reduction), powered by the 65 HP, 6300 RPM, Hirth 3203, dual ignition, 625 ccm two cylinder in line, two cycle, oil premix, air cooled engine with Al-Nikasil cylinder bores, dual carbs forward slanted and reed valves. As impossible and wild as this may seem to most of you out there, this new benchmark extreme fun machine completely conforms to FAR 103 and A/C 103-7 and in some very advanced and safety enhancing ways. The 254 pound maximum weight limit is the most defining element, and of greatest concern and challenge in the development of an advanced ultralight. This is something that I take very seriously and am very enthusiastic about in the development of the revolutionary Snedden M7 ultralight using CAD, precise dimensioning, tight manufacturing tolerances, strict logical design guidelines, precise proportioning, selection and development of the lightest and strongest structural design concepts, ingenuity and numerous innovative special features. No other affordable type of fixed wing aircraft construction can offer the extreme power to weight to strength ratios that are perfected in the Snedden M7 advanced ultralight. The M7 will play a very important part in elevating ultralight aviation to becoming the people’s most exciting, best and only choice in personal recreational aviation and in becoming the world’s greatest power sport. I have tooled for and am contemplating building ten slightly improved vehicles in the future with a few of them designated M10 with 100+ HP, inflatable floats and certified 103 legal. All will have cog belt reduction, in-flight adjustable pitch propeller hubs with Powerfin “F” blades and Magnum parachutes.

It is such a thrill to fly the M7. It is sort of like sitting in the top of a flying wing but with great visibility. The mechanical and power sports experience is awesome. Sometimes it is off the ground and climbing well before I can twist the throttle open. It is so different from other flying machines. The most important feature of the M7 is the first ever people friendly control system that is aligned to the human experience. I have been urged to patent it. I am very excited about developing the low cost inflatable pontoon float option as well as some other very interesting modifications.

More real people need to discover the fantastic experience of ultralight flight, using todays full aircraft recovery rapid deployment emergency ballistic recovery parachute systems. Ultralight flight is incredibly life enhancing. The USUA (United States Ultralight Organization) is the best organization to belong to.

Send comments to [email protected]
Andrew Snedden USUA A9041 Ultralighteer Extraordinaire
Snedden Manufacturing
P.O. Box 171
Gratiot, Ohio 43740 - 0171

Additional Information:

To obtain photos, please contact [email protected]

The Snedden M7 ultralight is now undergoing flight tests and adjustments. It complies with FAR Part 103 and A/C 103-7 while using the Hirth 3203 625cc 65 HP engine and yet it is stronger and safer than any other. Results thus far indicate that this revolutionary new generation of ultralight vehicle will play a very important part in elevating ultralight aviation toward becoming the people’s most exciting, best and only choice in personal recreational flight. The website is new with some new web site techniques and it now contains much information about the M7 as well as very sharp information about the serious problems in light recreational aviation.
Soon there will be more video and inward facing wing tip cam video to show the constant 45 degree wing chord angle to the horizon during full power climb as well as showing an angle of attack indicator on the opposite wing tip, the new user friendly control system (best feature) and its actual interactions with the control surfaces and vehicle attitude response. Very exciting stuff. The first ever full power ground roll shown in one of the videos, appears to be 3 seconds long. All flights thus far are with the flaperon angle fixed at 16 degrees and stall speed appears to be 26 - 27 mph at high angle of attack. Roll response is very strong down to and at 30 mph. All stalls appear to be straight ahead with no wing drop tendency. Yaw stability is outstanding beyond my expectations and there is no tendency for the vehicle to pull to the right or left at any power setting. I like what it does but I will be doing some flight testing later with the thrust straightening inverted "V" canard covers removed. I am certain that it does affect center of lift and pitch to some small degree at its current high pitch angle, especially at higher power settings. I will be raising the tail over six inches also for several reasons including the possibility of dragging the tail.

Andy (740) 405-4964 or [email protected]

Attachments

• M7.jpg
    M7.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 736
Back