• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to this site

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB59

Hi All

I have been reading posts on this site for quite a while now and must congratulate the members on their willing and open discussion. It is refreshing to see in this era a group of people willing to help other enthusiast for the sake of helping.
A little about myself and my project.
I am a few 100 hour Ausflight WB 582 Drifter pilot with quite a few hours in a range of other sport aircraft. I have also had a long term dream of designing and building an aircraft. My design thoughts have changed a bit over the last 10 years but for the last few years have been narrowing down to where I am now heading.
My design is a tandem open cockpit 2 seat amphibian with a 100hp/68 inch prop as a pusher with a MTOW of 640kg and designed for saltwater application.
If you think of a Super Drifter with the fuselage boom replaced with a floating hull as a general layout.
160 sq/ft USA35B Flapped Wing
I plan on making a static model sometime in the new-year. But before that I would like to post a photo of some drawings of the hull in 4 stages of on water operation for some valuable comments and advice on the design. From an aerial view the hull will look a bit like a stingray with a wide area near the step (1750mm) and a narrowing tail section to be stable in water without wing floats. The design is balanced at rest in water to the same CofG as flight mode shown in the bottom right diagram. The cross section diagram is at the step. The hull as you see it in the diagrams will be completely sealed so in boating terms you would call it a wet deck like a jetski.
One area I need help is, I expect the hull will have some in flight lift and with most of the hulls possible lifting area well forward of the wing CofG. I need to get a handle on how this may affect the overall flight CofG.

Ken

Attachments

• HBP Drawings.jpg
    HBP Drawings.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 98
Back