• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to homebuilts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, my name is Paul Susbauer, I'm a Sophmore at Gonzaga University in Washington, and I've been bitten by the homebuilt bug. Back in High school I did a lot of research on them, and selected a design...an ultralight version of the Pietenpol Aircamper, bought plans...but then decided to wait until I was a little older to start.

I'm heavily into RC Airplanes, I even have a small kit business of small electric powered planes...one of which is a Pietenpol Aircamper I designed from the plans which I had bought for the full scale version. Additionally I built a 1/3rd scale version from those plans. It is exact to every part...though I haven't finished it due to going to college and being into my small parkflyer electrics.

Anyway... after being away from keeping up with things and memory fading. :D I've been bitten again by the homebuilding bug. I'm leaning away from ultralights for varying reasons. I'm still leaning to the actual Pietenpol Aircamper as I love working with wood, its a classic design, plus I can use a variety of engines. I'm hoping to use perhaps a VW, or VW derivative.
I am open to other designs, I really prefer wood as I have all the tools, though a steel tube fuselage is ok with me. Any other suggestions to a college student on a budget is greatly appreciated. Whatever I end up doing I'll making this an ongoing, longer term project.

BTW...I don't have my private ticket, nor am I taking lessons. I've got a few hours (3) in a C150.

--Paul
www.oldschoolrc.com

PS- I found this site through just an internet search. I'm big into RC discussion boards like this one, so this is what I wanted to find. I'll be sticking around here.

Attachments

• piet3.jpg
    piet3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 204
Back