New Time to Climb Record

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Lendo

For general information, I figure I can't copy it to this forum, but Kitplanes Weekly has an article on the new Time to Climb Record using a Rotary Engine, it is interesting and informative, but not the build approach for the average builder- far too complex. They used the Bell (very large and Robust) Helicopter Planetery PSRU coupled with synthetic isolators, Photos provided in the Article. Longevity may not have been their goal, so unsure how the damper stand up over time, however looks very robust.
George

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You are talking about the Harmon Rocket with the uncowled turbo rotary from a few years ago?

patrickrio

Which number are you questioning?

BJC
"Join the Climb on a Record-Breaking Flight
Watch pilot Dan Gray take off from Oxnard Airport in California and blast up to 100,000 feet in just 100 seconds."

On the video link [ed: in nickec's original link ;) ]HERE.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

patrickrio

Just thought THAT would be cool. piston/prop that fast, and still breathing air!!! OH, I think the editor of my post just did some clarification work.....

Victor Bravo

A glider with Jim Payne in it... that's a different story. He has a viable chance at 90-100K, and he's already exceeded 3/4 of that altitude, with no rotary engine, no turbocharger, and no nitrous :)

Map

The Harmon Rocket with the rotary engine was originally my project, which Russ MacFarlane started with me as the project engineer and the late Jim Mederer of Racing Beat, who developed the rotary engine. Craig Catto designed the prop. Once the test stand work was complete, I found Dan Grey's shop and decided that he would be suitable for combining the engine with a Harmon Rocket airframe we had purchased for the record attempt. It then took Dan 3 years to get it to the point of making the record flight.

Attachments

Lendo

Map, I seen the recent article which gave good photos of the Bell 47 Planetery PSRU and damper, things under discussion recently which may have been of interest to some members. It seems my post may have been dumped because I mentioned the Magazine article by name, so glad you mentioned it. I don't recall the Bell Planetery Ratio, could you mention that and how did the Damper get developed and would it be suitable for other developments, or just tuned for the specific purpose.
George

Map

The gear reduction ratio is 2.9. I don't know if the damper for that I provided the layout was actually used in the end. The gear box needed a custom interface to the engine which was very expensive to make, and heavy. Also it was very difficult to find a gear box at all, we got it out of another airplane that was parted out. Not practical for other builders.