New Sonex High Wing Design

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Cy V

Looks like Sonex just came out with a high wing design. There's not a lot of info at this time, but they do have a couple of pics.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Looks like a Cantilever wing. Very interesting. If it performs even remotely well with an aerovee it will be winner.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Got the jump on Vans, well done Sonex.
Yes, I know the airplanes will be quite different, but there is some market overlap.

And it has a Y-tail option! 😍

Bigshu

Got the jump on Vans, well done Sonex.
Yes, I know the airplanes will be quite different, but there is some market overlap.

And it has a Y-tail option! 😍
It's funny how the Zenith 700 series of STOL craft are generating a band waggon effect... I do like the idea of a V-tail version. Not that there aren't plenty of other high wing designs out there, but not a lot of tri-gear kits.

Daleandee

Taildragger version sure looks like a metal Wittman Tailwind, at least from that angle.
I always thought that a Tailwind looked like a high wing Sonex. It does appear from from this layout sketch that the forward visibility is not gonna be very good as the pilot's head is well back under the wing and there is a long glare shield and a cowling out front. View out the side looking down is much improved over the low wing version though ...:popcorn:

1629766992332.png

As I age this might be the plane I need as it certainly would be easier to get in and out of. But they would loose their minds if I stroked a 3.0 Corvair on it!

ScaleBirdsScott

Yeah it's a cool concept. And yeah the only issue I can see is the mainspar passing right in front of your head. Not so much of a problem if they thin it up through there somehow, but not too sure how that'd work out.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I always thought that a Tailwind looked like a high wing Sonex. It does appear from from this layout sketch that the forward visibility is not gonna be very good as the pilot's head is well back under the wing and there is a long glare shield and a cowling out front. View out the side looking down is much improved over the low wing version though ...:popcorn:

View attachment 114691

As I age this might be the plane I need as it certainly would be easier to get in and out of. But they would loose their minds if I stroked a 3.0 Corvair on it!
Sounds good to me. Power is nice.

pilot103

I was liking what I was reading until I got to the part where it said At least 100hp but 200 lbs max fwf. That doesn't leave much of a choice And if it wont be shown for 2 years I have a feeling Vans will already be on the market.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Yep, 100 HP minimum, 4 ft more wingspan, MTOW of 1320 lbs (LSA) and projected useful load of 600 lbs, this isn't just a high wing Sonex, it's a bigger plane. Keeping with the Sonex emphasis on value, this would be a natural fit for an Aeromomentum engine or a Corvair.

Has anyone heard if the wings fold? I hope so.

An interesting next morph would be a low wing version of this larger plane. That would put it into the Vans RV-12 territory, but the Sonex offering has a limit load of +6G vs the RV-12s +4g.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like a Cantilever wing. Very interesting. If it performs even remotely well with an aerovee it will be winner.
Hmm. With that longer wing, a big VW might be able to power this larger plane IF max weight were reduced to about 1200 lbs. That would give a 500lb useful load. It might fly about the same as a Thatcher CX5.
At that 1200 lb MTOW, it would have about the same useful load as a Sonex, would probably be a little slower, and (IMO) would be less fun to fly.

Last edited:

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
Sling TSI High Wing, RV-15, Sonex High Wing, I think i see a trend here.