New single seat experimental

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Will Aldridge

Log Member
There's no point in not using carbon fiber. When you factor in the end-to-end savings, it is less expensive than fiberglass.
Could you expound on this please? I've heard that production of cf has increased enough that there's enough supply to have dropped the price some but otherwise I don't know why it would be cheaper than fg, especially when it appears that it's still more expensive per yard.

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
My guess is that carbon is much stronger so you can use less of it, along with the savings of less resin to wet out the smaller amount of carbon. The labor cost is the same for both glass or carbon.
The smaller amount of carbon also saves some weight which means that the structures don't have to be built quite as strong if the plane is lighter.

Exian

This is my own composite single seater.
Same category as SD1 and luciole, but a little faster.Avion-perso-Abt_19_04_18_0101.jpg
Mainly made of GF sandwich exept the wing spar in CF.

I am going full CF for the second one to get more payload (especially for range : more gasoline, or lots of batteries for electric version).
But only after I finish my current sailplane project.

qartveli

Log Member
Same category as SD1 and luciole, but a little faster.View attachment 95305

I am going full CF for the second one to get more payload (especially for range : more gasoline, or lots of batteries for electric version).
So beautiful! Can you be so kind show me spar picture and tell making technology?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's a really nice looking plane! Can you please share some more pictures? I'd especially like a better look at the tail. Feel free to start a new thread about it.

Exian

So beautiful! Can you be so kind show me spar picture and tell making technology?
I don't have much pictures of the manufacturing of the spar themselves. It is difficult to take pictures when yo have resin on your hands.

Here is one of the few I have :
Image1.jpg
Spar caps are glued to a foam core (right).
At root (closer part in the picture), foam is covered with CF to deal with the bigger shear load between locking pins.
You can see one pin on the end that will go in the opposite root rib. Spar locking is similar as the one in Shempp-hirt sailplanes.
Then the whole spar is covered with the CF shear web (left)

As for the process :
Spar caps are UD profiles of 20mm width (variable thickness) that I laid up myself in a molding channel.
Rowing was impregnated thank to this :
Image2.jpg
Pull 3 rowing at a time, lay in the channel, cut rowing at root, and repeat 100 time before resin harderns in the impregnating device.

Shear web is impregnated on a plastic sheet, then tranfered on the spar.
The whole spar is placed in a vacuum bag.
I made the shear web in two steps : right side with overlap on the spar cap, full cure under vacuum.
Then left side with overlap on the spar cap and over the right side.

It was too difficult to do both sides with a single lay-up.

qartveli

Log Member
I don't have much pictures of the manufacturing of the spar themselves. It is difficult to take pictures when yo have resin on your hands.

Here is one of the few I have :
View attachment 95306
Spar caps are glued to a foam core (right).
At root (closer part in the picture), foam is covered with CF to deal with the bigger shear load between locking pins.
You can see one pin on the end that will go in the opposite root rib. Spar locking is similar as the one in Shempp-hirt sailplanes.
Then the whole spar is covered with the CF shear web (left)

As for the process :
Spar caps are UD profiles of 20mm width (variable thickness) that I laid up myself in a molding channel.
Rowing was impregnated thank to this :
View attachment 95307
Pull 3 rowing at a time, lay in the channel, cut rowing at root, and repeat 100 time before resin harderns in the impregnating device.

Shear web is impregnated on a plastic sheet, then tranfered on the spar.
The whole spar is placed in a vacuum bag.
I made the shear web in two steps : right side with overlap on the spar cap, full cure under vacuum.
Then left side with overlap on the spar cap and over the right side.

It was too difficult to do both sides with a single lay-up.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!

Basil

HBA Supporter

Looks like a Silence Twister. SD1, Luciolle and Silence Twister are quite different in terms of weight, stall speed and power.

Exian

Looks like a Silence Twister. SD1, Luciolle and Silence Twister are quite different in terms of weight, stall speed and power.
Silence Twister look-alike but scaled down to luciole size.
Silence twister was once available as Europe UL (65km/h stall, 80hp, MTOW 300kg), so not to far from SD1 (240kg), but Silence Twister is huge because of low Cl max symétrical airfoil...

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
That's a really nice looking plane! Can you please share some more pictures? I'd especially like a better look at the tail. Feel free to start a new thread about it.
Yes, Exian, it would be good to hear more on that earlier design (specs, etc). The horizontal tail is interesting-- similar on concept to the Luciolle, but with a standoff pylon. It would be interesting to know your reasons for selecting that approach and how it worked out.
Start a thread and tell us about it!

Latest posts