New rotorcraft concepts

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

EzyBuildWing

NEW Flying-car concept....looks exciting! Hope it catches on.
Acid-test will be to display it at 2021 AERO Friedrichshafen, and see how many actual orders/deposits they take......
I wonder how many $millions has already been expended developing it ....?

EzyBuildWing

In the 1970's, Lloyd Poston built a tandem 2-seater pusher powered by a Lyc 0-290G. with a 66" dia prop(?). Airflow into the prop was good.
Twin redundant 2" x 2" x 0.125" 6061 Al square tube masts.
All the sq Al tube for the airframe weighed in at about 60 lbs.
Had Hughs 300 blades with a hub that took rotor-diameter to 29.5 feet. Twin-tail similar to Marty Hollmann's HA-2M Sportster, but had no horizontal stab.
Reg No. was N-5479.
I think it was written up in PRA Magazine in the 1970's with airframe dimensions. etc
Anyone got any detailed info on the man or the machine?

Dusan

I was always a fan of the Hiller flying platform, I liked the concept, an efficient personal hovering aircraft.

Too bad they did not continue the project for non-military applications. One of the shortcomings was too much stability, having excessive pitch-up limiting the forward speed.

I'm reviving the project, adding a custom wing to eliminate the previous mentioned shortcoming, to generate lift in hover and able transition to a wing-borne, much more efficient flight. Since the pilot position will be prone, laying on top of the fuselage, the wing-borne cruise configuration will be similar to another historical aircraft, the wee-bee:

And here it is:

Dan Thomas

I was always a fan of the Hiller flying platform, I liked the concept, an efficient personal hovering aircraft.
Efficient?? In what way? Hovering flight is very expensive and energy-intensive. A hovercraft, using a pressure skirt against the surface, is far more efficient and faster.

Dusan

Efficient?? In what way? Hovering flight is very expensive and energy-intensive. A hovercraft, using a pressure skirt against the surface, is far more efficient and faster.
Sure, but a hovercraft is not an aircraft.

The VZ-1 needed about 50kW to hover, due to relatively large disk area and 40% of the lift was provided by the duct. Compare that to the 320kW Lilium jet or 1216KW of Ehang184

Martin W

Beta aircraft

Rik .... Thank you for that video .... I am impressed by his logic .

The Beta designer is one of the most practical and intelligent engineers I have seen in this category .... and I have seen a lot of them.

henryk

his logic .
=very promised !

=another "logic"... (seems simple !)

rotax618

I agree in hover you would gain nothing from the thrust props, but they would have to contribute thrust in forward flight which would lower the disk angle and therefore unload the rotor, I’m sure greater minds than ours consider it a benefit.

TFF

If you want to power forward with a prop, Sikorsky with the counter rotating blades is the best. Not the first but they have it so the advancing blade is carrying the helicopter and the retreating blade goes flat. No dis symmetry of lift. Thrusting prop does have reverse pitch, but cyclic can still move like a normal helicopter. The Kawasaki helicopter was no stretch. They build those all day for farming. Adding a wing like a Cheyenne is not new and is just a fix instead of a solution. The Beta people bought a friend’s helicopter to teach the engineers what is going on. First one said, oh this isn’t a video game, it’s harder than it looks. Helicopter pilots sure do a lot. .

henryk

If you want to power forward with a prop, Sikorsky with the counter rotating blades is the best.
-my Fellow concept
(examinated in 1.3 m modell,
15 kG/kW)
seems lower energy consumtion rotorcraft=

=differential,reactionless electric drived big+small rotors +thrust CR Diff.propellers.

=VTOL + semiautorotation regime (better eficiency as classic autorotation!)

Attachments