Quantcast

New propeller

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doran Jaffas

Planning to head to Mt. Vernon, Ohio to pick up a Prince P Tip for my 0-200A powered Tailwind W8.
Anyone fly with these bolted onto the front of an 0-200?

Mcmark

I had one on my 320 powered bipe and will be using it on my Tailwind.
Lonnie Prince has been nothing but helpful in my quest to use one of his props even though I bought it used.
After purchase, I shipped it to him for inspection and had it drilled for 1/2” bolts. He charged me nothing for the work. I called to inquire about a used prop listed and discussed the one I have and he suggested I bush it back to 3/8”.
He is a gentleman and the next composite prop I buy will be one of his.

Doran Jaffas

Good to know. I'm
I had one on my 320 powered bipe and will be using it on my Tailwind.
Lonnie Prince has been nothing but helpful in my quest to use one of his props even though I bought it used.
After purchase, I shipped it to him for inspection and had it drilled for 1/2” bolts. He charged me nothing for the work. I called to inquire about a used prop listed and discussed the one I have and he suggested I bush it back to 3/8”.
He is a gentleman and the next composite prop I buy will be one of his.
Good to know. Thanks. I take it you liked the performance. I'll be switching out a 3 blade ground adjustable. If it performs better.. I'll sell the 3 blade with spinner.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

Will do.
Keep us posted on the difference....jeff
Will do. So far I am very pleased. Flying again Sunday and Monday I hope. The cruise comes back with slightly higher RPM. Climb is " wow". Engine and propeller are within perimeters. Throttle back in high cruise to keep from over-revving the engine but even at it's highest the engine is still within spec and prop is .85 of mach.

jeff naul

Im using a sensenitch 70" two blade ground adjustable. Subaru/601 HDS. Once im out of airframe cleanup changing to a prince prop will be the last thing that I change again. What did you change diameter wise? Jeff

Doran Jaffas

Good morning Jeff.
My propeller is a little flat. It spins up to 3400 RPM. Climbing I am at 2700. That is at 85 miles per hour and 1300 feet per minute.
In cruise I throttle back to 3000 and that yields about a hundred and thirty-five. If I throttle back to 2750 that yields 120 + miles per hour.
It is a 66 diameter by a 48 pitch. I'm going to talk to Lonnie and see how much and how long it will take him to add an inch of pitch. Otherwise I can live with it because I really like the climb rate. The 0-200 can Cruise all day long at 3000 RPM and the propeller is at .8 Mach.
I am burning just shy of four gallons per hour. I think that is excellent performance for that little engine!
Regards,
Doran Jaffas
Central Lower Michigan

Doran Jaffas

Spoke with Lonnie at Prince. $495.00 and 8-10 weeks. May have it done but do not want to eliminate that time of summer flying.

jeff naul

Thats great. Most 0200s run around at 2300...i wouldnt be surprised if your climb stayed the same or got a little better... i can pitch up to 20.5 degrees(from 17.5) and climb nearly the same. Ground run is only a few plane lengths longer. But everything doesnt seem as happy. At the lower pitch it puts me back in the seat on takeoff roll.. WOT speed is the same cruise is same just running it a little higher rpm. Keep in mind i have a reduction drive...I love this testing stuff... I change something every time i go fly.

Doran Jaffas

You make a good point. I'll check the actual AOA next time I fly. Soon I hope.
My climb did jump significantly which I'll take over a few mph in airspeed.
Thanks for the reply.

Doran Jaffas

Thats great. Most 0200s run around at 2300...i wouldnt be surprised if your climb stayed the same or got a little better... i can pitch up to 20.5 degrees(from 17.5) and climb nearly the same. Ground run is only a few plane lengths longer. But everything doesnt seem as happy. At the lower pitch it puts me back in the seat on takeoff roll.. WOT speed is the same cruise is same just running it a little higher rpm. Keep in mind i have a reduction drive...I love this testing stuff... I change something every time i go fly.
Ooops, In answer to prop change...the 3 blade was 68" diameter.

Doran Jaffas

Keep us posted on the difference....jeff
I have several hours on it now. The climb is astonishing at 1,000 fpm in hot and humid wx. It stops at the 6&12 position which I'm told may not be correct. Any thoughts? It is on the high side RPM wise so I am planning on having another prop made to see what happens.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

I have several hours on it now. The climb is astonishing at 1,000 fpm in hot and humid wx. It stops at the 6&12 position which I'm told may not be correct. Any thoughts? It is on the high side RPM wise so I am planning on having another prop made to see what happens.
The pic shown is after I hand rotated it.

TFF

Tailwind fan here. Prop should stop at the 4-10 o’clock spot usually. Pretty much 3-9 o’clock with #1 TDC. Impulse pops as it goes from 10 to 9. It’s probably closer to 10:30-9:30 actually.

Doran Jaffas

Tailwind fan here. Prop should stop at the 4-10 o’clock spot usually. Pretty much 3-9 o’clock with #1 TDC. Impulse pops as it goes from 10 to 9. It’s probably closer to 10:30-9:30 actually.
Thanks...is there a reason for that? Such as hand propping? Engine harmonics? ( Showing my ignorance here )

TFF

I will say both. It does aid in hand propping, but I think the prop matched with the front crank throws makes less vibration.

Nobody seems to have reasonable instructions on how to mount a prop. The Cessna 150 manual is very hard to understand. Sensenitch says refer you to the airplane manufacturer. Even the Sensenitch homebuilt prop instructions are still not definitive.

Sensenitch does put a mark on their hub for indexing to the #1 cylinder but they don’t tell you much about it. Maybe yours has one too. It’s just a small tick mark.

Doran Jaffas

I will say both. It does aid in hand propping, but I think the prop matched with the front crank throws makes less vibration.

Nobody seems to have reasonable instructions on how to mount a prop. The Cessna 150 manual is very hard to understand. Sensenitch says refer you to the airplane manufacturer. Even the Sensenitch homebuilt prop instructions are still not definitive.

Sensenitch does put a mark on their hub for indexing to the #1 cylinder but they don’t tell you much about it. Maybe yours has one too. It’s just a small tick mark.
Thanks for the info. I'll check and just for the sake of it I change the prop position to the 10/4 . Can't hurt. I really appreciate the response.