New project

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by George Sychrovsky, Jan 29, 2005.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

Banned

I started working on a new composite hang glider pod with tricycle undercarriage. This is the first time I’m working on a bigger project since I got a computer and a digital camera so this time I will be documenting the ongoing progress on my website.
    http://curedcomposites.netfirms.com/hangbuggy.html
    George

2. Jan 29, 2005 #2

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Pretty cool.. I like the concept.

Question: Why put the Kevlar on the inside? I thought Kevlar was used to protect the carbon/glass? I know its more prone to moisture, but its the way I've seen it done all the time... a'la canoes?

3. Jan 29, 2005 #3

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

Banned

Besides being very tough Kevlar has very low density so it separates the carbon plies further apart and makes the laminate thicker as oppose to all carbon or glass of same weight. That gives the part better stiffness and more final strength. In a relatively thin materials the thickness of it is very important factor , even over riding the actual properties of the material used. Think of that Kevlar as a low density core. Comparing to canoes is not valid, they need the Kevlar in the outside for protection against localized impacts and abrasion from the rocks. If I was building a float I would put the Kevlar on the outside.

George

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005