• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts For Sale NEW PRICE!! 2 lycoming O-290-G engine cores for sale. $1500 for both.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fixnflyr

NEW PRICE!!! I have 2 Lycoming O-290-G engine cores for sale. I got them in a package deal when I bought a Volmer VJ-22. These engines have the same Crankcase castings and the same crankshafts as early narrow deck O-320's. They could be converted to 150 HP very easily. Just bore the cases out for the bigger cylinders and bolt the O-320 cylinders on. They need overhauled. One engine is disassembled and the other is still together. Not many accessories, a starter and fuel pump between the two. I don't need them, They need to GO. Located in Savannah Ga. Pick-up would be great. I could truck ship for extra money. I really don't want to build a crate but I could for extra $ to cover the expenses. PM me and I will discuss and send pics.
Thanks
P.S. These would be a lot better and easier to get going than some auto conversions would.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

pfarber

You forgot to mention needing a new crankshaft as the flange on the 290 is way to thin and full of holes and the need to drill the case for hydraulic lifters in addition to boring the cylinder holes.

The only 290 worth conversion is the -D2 as that came with hydraulic lifters.

So 4 new cylinders, 8 new lifters, new cam new crank plus machine work.

Just buy a 320.

Pops

Supporting Member
In building my 290 engine I used the G model case, cam and solid lifters. 320 crankshaft, 290-D2 cylinders and pistons. 320 oil sump, accessory housing, carb. 2 into 1 exhaust with no muffler. Sen- 74"x 56" pitch at 2900 rpm at WOT. Great engine in the 700+ hours I put on it.

TFF

The one together has the aftermarket reinforcement plate. I always wondered about putting one on a 320 crank for aerobatics. The other engine looks like the start of a conversion. My 290G has a D crank in it. If I was building one without parts it would have a budget 320 crank that tend to show on eBay. Something like a STOL plane or a Tailwind would be fine with a G crank and reinforcement plate. It’s not 1963. Solutions are out there. If I was in the market I would be sucking them up. Single seat biplane or other low budget plane, they are perfect.

Dana LaBounty

NEW PRICE!!! I have 2 Lycoming O-290-G engine cores for sale. I got them in a package deal when I bought a Volmer VJ-22. These engines have the same Crankcase castings and the same crankshafts as early narrow deck O-320's. They could be converted to 150 HP very easily. Just bore the cases out for the bigger cylinders and bolt the O-320 cylinders on. They need overhauled. One engine is disassembled and the other is still together. Not many accessories, a starter and fuel pump between the two. I don't need them, They need to GO. Located in Savannah Ga. Pick-up would be great. I could truck ship for extra money. I really don't want to build a crate but I could for extra $ to cover the expenses. PM me and I will discuss and send pics.
Thanks
P.S. These would be a lot better and easier to get going than some auto conversions would.
Tempting just for the cylinders. Savannah you say, just down 95 a couple hours. Thinking about it.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I blieve that the reinforcing plate for the prop flange and all those discussions were rooted in people using aluminum Sensenich and McCauley propellers that weighed 30-40 pounds, back in the days of the T-18's and Sidewinders and all that. We now have very light carbon and wood/carbon propellers that weigh a lot lot lot less, perform as well as metal, and perform better than wood props. The inertial and gyroscopic and dynamic loads are a lot lower with these lighter props I am pretty sure.

pfarber

Thicker flange doesn't solve the precsession issue. Thats mostly on the crank nose.

Is the doubler welded to the crank? How can tangential stresses be transferred from the backing plate to the crank?

TFF

The doubler is held in with the prop flange ferrules. Tighten prop bolts, clamps it. It’s been around a long time. The T-18 with cut down props and people playing fighter jet were the problem. It’s still the perfect “homebuilt “ engine. The problem is people want it to be a IO-390.

Marc Bourget

To give you some idea of my background. Don Pridham, the author the the O-290 GPU Conversion Thesis was an early mentor. I traveled with him up to John Thorp's shop for one of his interviews conducted for research. I later acquired a O-290 GPU for my T-18 Project. That led to a 15 year mentorship with John on all things aeronautic.

The need for the doubler was to stiffen the flange against gyroscopic forces. There is enough material to hold on to the propeller.

Dana LaBounty

To give you some idea of my background. Don Pridham, the author the the O-290 GPU Conversion Thesis was an early mentor. I traveled with him up to John Thorp's shop for one of his interviews conducted for research. I later acquired a O-290 GPU for my T-18 Project. That led to a 15 year mentorship with John on all things aeronautic.

The need for the doubler was to stiffen the flange against gyroscopic forces. There is enough material to hold on to the propeller.
I have a copy of Don's thesis. Talked with Swaid last night and made a deal for his O-290 bits. Along with my custom pistons, pins and rings I'm becoming an experimental O-290 parts depot by default. Great engines if experimental, impossible certificated. PMA rings, pins and buttons now cost just short of $3k to service 4 cylinders. I do have those parts on hand. G'day to ya Marc.

Pops

Supporting Member
I used to have the flange doubler and all the parts but haven't seen them for several years, must of given them away, or they are hiding somewhere in a box.

Pops

Supporting Member
They're the "Snake In the Box" waiting to bite you
To much junk. Hanger needs a good cleaning out. There is also a new set of 6:00x6" tires hiding somewhere in the same box. Also when I built the hanger and moved into it, I moved a box with a tin metal box inside full of 1800's silver dollars. Hope I run across them before I die.