Quantcast

New...Old Guy...64 years young

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tom Emery

Hello Everyone,
I am transitioning from Hang gliders into ultralights. I am very interested in the Mitchell wing. I would appreciate any information (and pay a finders fee) leading to a purchase. I don't care where it's located. Thanks in advance.
Tom

lr27

Welcome!

I'm a bit younger than you, but I am not young, and I get older every year. How do you do that?

Sorry I don't have a lead on a Mitchell wing.

Tom Emery

State of mind. Pursuit of happiness. Yoga. Good health. Knowledge...wisdom (occasionally). Happy marriage. Friends.
All that negative stuff...that's what runs you down and makes you old.
Not saying this works for anyone but myself.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Heck, I have children almost your age. :)
Oldest is 60 years old.

Reactions: JWP

Tom Emery

Heck, I have children almost your age. :)
Oldest is 60 years old.
Pops...if you are still flying then my hat is off to you. Heck, if you're still walking around a heartfelt "congratulations " is in order.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm young for my family. Most lives over a hundred. My father died young at 92 and his two sisters lived to 103. Another aunt lived to 106 and had a book published when she was 100 years old. About the time she quit driving. Another aunt lived in a senior citizens apartment and spent her time driving all the old people to the doctors until about 100. She died at 103.
Can you take your airplane and motorcycle with you in a senior citizen home ?

N804RV

HBA Supporter
State of mind. Pursuit of happiness. Yoga. Good health. Knowledge...wisdom (occasionally). Happy marriage. Friends.
All that negative stuff...that's what runs you down and makes you old.
Not saying this works for anyone but myself.
I think its working for me. Turned 61 and quit my job. I've lost 15 pounds and don't have heartburn anymore. I'm flying more. And, I'd swear there's more hair on my head. Peach fuzz, but still....

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
"Can you take your airplane and motorcycle with you in a senior citizen home?"
Suppose. But they might not go for the "Wheelies" down the halls... :)
So the parking lot should be a go.

Tom Emery

Did you think about trikes?
I have given serious thought to trikes. I own five hg wings, one being an Exxtcy Ridgid. Heck I could build my own trike for a couple of hundred dollars and find a used Rotax 447 and slap it together. I might just do that....after I get a Mitchell Wing and fly the sky out of it.

Tom Emery

-R447 is to heavy for EXTACY wing... 15-20 HP is anoth...

That video was too short! I am researching engines. There are a lot of early 2 cycle motors from the 80's-2000. I'm not stuck on a 447. Anything that gives a reasonable take off roll and climb rate will be considered. Engine out? No problem. Got to be at least a 16 to 1 glide ratio on that Exxtcy.
But I still want a Mitchell Wing.

Tom Emery

-is it TUCK resist ? (tumble risk...)
That sir is a good question. I am not averse to adding a boom and tail (ala Atos). The great thing about the Far 103 regs is that as long as you adhere to its limitations, you get to be creative. Look at all the canard configurations.
With five wings to play with the possibilites become many.
But...I STILL WANT THE MITCHELL WING ha ha