• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New not blue gas...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsrguy3

Lead isn't good..... ok, ok I get it. The LL battle is lost, that's obvious too.
Do I believe the environmental cost is worth losing "affordable" hi-po fuel? I don't.... but we really have crossed the Rubicon on this subject.

I'm 52 this year. I was born in mariposa ca in the shadow of Yosemite to a 2nd generation aviation family making me number 3. I worked the fields as a kid and teen flagging loading and, with dad maintaining his rotor and fixedwing ag craft It was hard work, and being from Scott, German and viking gene pools I was the minority....
;)

I’ve always worked my lower sphincter off, probably to my detriment, I never cracked the wealth code. I lost my home in the 08 bravo sierra and to this day my bride of 33 years and I rent. I was badly injured at work at the beginning of a deployment and still have a good percentage of disability, but I dont have a handicap tag or take disability. By the time my bills, initial recovery and subsequent surgeries were over, there was nothing left of the "settlement " they shoved down my throat.

I could be bitter but I'm th happiest I’ve been. Due to my injuries I thought I'd retrain to be an atp, however circumstances changed my perspective. These days I'm self employed. I restore, mod, and paint a/c... every day. If I roll over in the morning and can't walk without nerve pain I take the drugs and soak in the tub and convalesce until I can move again. It doesn't happen too often but when it does... I don't need to call an employer ....

Anyway mom, almost 80 now visited my shop at the airport yesterday, we talked for a long time... she was in tears when she thanked me for caring for and extending the family legacy..... I'd never seen it that way. I’m the eldest of 5 and the only one .

I don't have retirement savings, right now in order to fly I’m in labor based partnerships. If I fly alone it's in a mogas bird.

I’m a little concerned that.... it's not " just about the gas man". The environment movement in ca put a non native fish above the food and water needs of its population. There are piles of junk scientific "reports" that have jerked us around for decades now.

A couple questions based on comments I've read online. One mentioned we (ga) need to take away all of their environmental arguments....
One accused guys like me of thinking the sky was falling.
Several insinuated we're (pilots) are wealthy and can afford it ... basically shut up and color.

Do you think it's just the gas or is there more?
Will we get knock sensors and expensive induction to offset crappy gas?

How many of my brothers here are on the bubble of not being able to afford the "Slightly more expensive" gami gas in your hi-po mills?

Will the 100ll subs have the long term stability we have come to appreciate in avgas?

What kind of contingencies are you considering?

Hopefully I’ll get to work in ga until I assume room temp... but I wonder..... will ga be "a thing" as an option to my grand children?

Last edited:
Back