• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6106b

My name is Larry Milford ,I am 74 yrs old .I got into aviation by chance.I bought a half finished kit Fisher FP 101. I knew early on the kit left much to be desired but I finished it and a friend of mine fly it one time ,then I sold it.Now let me back up just a little,half way through the build I bought a Cessna 182 Skylane and took lessons and got my private pilot license in it . Owned a couple of skylanes over the years and got to the point I could not pass a medical so I gave up flying. 25 yrs later my grandson came to live with us. I wanted to get him into aviation ,I offered to pay for him to get his license but he really wasn't that interested. I thought about how I got into aviation my self ,so I showed my grandson some photos of homebuilt aircraft with the dual 10" touch screens and he said now I can do that.I bought a kit that had been started and was maybe 35% to 40 % done.The kit was a Rans S-21 Outbound experimental , High wing 155 mph ,below 40 mph stall all metal ,very stable aicraft.The kit was in Virginia so it took some planning and we got it back to amarillo Texas which by the way is where we live .We have almost finished a wing and installed rudder pedals ,control sticks and flap handle. In the middle of this we flew out to Sun N Fun in Lakeland Fl. I bought a first run 2400 hr Lycoming O-320 D3G 160 hp ,8.5 compression. Its a beauty all new cylinder heads ,roller cam , new style case with the O ring between the split case. Completely zeroed out ,By J&P engines in Florida ,first class engine builder .My grandson Hunter now is well on his way to understanding what makes an aircraft fly and all that goes with that. We are now looking at avionics for the panel and I am learning a lot myself.

Back