New Member seeking advice on building KR2

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Trev036

Hi everyone
I am only new Here I have been flying for the last ten years and the idea of building an aircraft has always been high on my priority list. I am a carpenter by trade so I will have most tools required. I have just purchased a KR2 from an elderly gentleman that never got around to building it the kit is all there has retractable landing gear but no engine. One thing that I do see is that one side of the fuselage has been made but doesn't look like it has passed the inspection or test if that makes sence. There were no plans included with this project however I do have documentation and original purchase invoice for the kit, I have been able to down load a builders manual from the web but would anyone know where I could obtain the plans from or if anyone has some plans for this aircraft as I am keen to get organized to start building. I would be most appreciative if some one could give me some advice on where I should be starting and the run down on the process of building a kit aircraft. I will also be remaking the fuselage that has been made so i will most probably be needing some spruce for that as I assume that you will not be able to resurrect it to a passable standard?
kind regards to all

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome.

Someone may have a better idea, but if you have good documentation that you bought a legitimate kit from the original owner, maybe the current owner of the rights to sell KR2 plans (NVaero) would sell you a replacement set for that airplane at a price less than the regular price. Their site is at this link:
Plans, Books and Videos - nV|Aero

Mark

dwalker

The first thing would be to join the KR2 page on FB and the KR mailing list, lots of great info there. Most importantly there are a lot of updates, some concerning the landing gear- retracts are usually replaced with hoop gear for example- and good information as to what has and what has not worked. I would also check out Mark Langfords website at N56ML.com as there is also a lot of good stuff there.

Once you have some direction, sorting the plans is as easy as an order to NV Aero, although please be patient as I do not believe the business is not his main job and so some things take time. Plans should be easy though.

The engine is easy as well, these planes fly very well on 1800-2300cc VW motors. If you want to push the envelope the Corvair is a great alternative.

Good luck and have fun!

Trev036

Thanks Guys I will start doing some research. Does any one know where to by spruce in Australia and what sort of glue is best also do I need to register the change of ownership with SAAA ? what is the process do I have to have any checks done whilst building.
Thanks again

TFF

Not being in Australia I don’t know but, you are probably not going to buy spruce without mortgage on your house down there. Hoop pine seems to be an acceptable substitute to your government. There are probably published rules on how to pick what is quality and what is not.

Pale Bear

HBA Supporter
Not being in Australia I don’t know but, you are probably not going to buy spruce without mortgage on your house down there. Hoop pine seems to be an acceptable substitute to your government. There are probably published rules on how to pick what is quality and what is not.
IF you're planning/opting on substituting for certified sitka spruce .. the EAA's "How to" series book .. "Aircraft Building Techniques - Wood" is a pretty good source, in my opinion. I've got an older version, of this .. probably the newer one, that's available now, is even better. As you would think .. straight grains, and the absence of knots, or any other imperfections, matter. As TFF just mentioned .. pine is a legitimate substitute (though, it's a bit weaker). But, .. be informed, on the grain density & straightness minimums.

Attachments

don january

Log Member
Affordable Spruce in most any continent his going to be hit and mis. Once your build area is done I would be looking for a good supply of wood even if it is an alternate. You get the boat done then tail feathers and after a blur of build procedures you get to run it up and down the run way. If you can go TRI gear I think you'd be happier. KR-2 are a close fit for 2 but will perform nicely with single soul on board. I'm not a high time person with a KR-2 but with N40WS I did get my feet wet. Greatest hopes for your completion .

Pale Bear

HBA Supporter
Has there been some builders going with a stretched version of the KR? Getting the tail surfaces further back? .. It would have to be more stable, that way.

Markproa

I have a builders manual for a KR2 in Australia you are welcome to. It came with an unfinished project I bought (not a KR2) as the builder had built a KR2 previously. PM me if you are interested.

Mark