• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member needing guidance! Arnold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnaldojrbr

Hello Everybody!

My name is Arnold, I live in UK (Northern Ireland) but I'm brazilian (you'll see some english errors... don't mind it plz). I have an ancient dream to build a WIG craft from scratch. I have zero experience with mechanics, soldering, metalurgy, joinery but I'm very obstinated and don't give up easily! I'm a former military, bank teller, professor, financial market operator, policeman and building contractor... Today I'm retied.

I always had the dream to own a WIG! I don't have a pilot licence BUT I have a Captain's Licence which permits me sail around the world. As a WIG craft is a Boat according IMO I'm teoretically able to drive it. My flight experience is hundreds of hours in MS Flight Simulator piloting the Icon A5. Another big reason for the WIG choice is the (Teoretical) fuel efficiency due to the Wing in ground effect and lack of necessity of an aeronautical engine (I'll use a car engine).

Currently, I'm studiyng aerodynamics, mechanics, building principles and making the plans for the WIG Craft. I have a pre-project and would like to submit for the forum evaluation. Everything can help! Any observation, advice, tips are very, very welcome!

The WIG craft will be built around a 15 Ft Fletcher speedboat hull (I'm still looking for one), the superestructure will be made of fiberglass (just like the hull) and the wings made of wood and 0.7mm aluminium sheets. Its desirable accomodate 2 ppl (pilot and passenger) side by side. I will transcript the planed especifications below (plz note these are projections and wishes! Some may be irrealistic)

MetricImperialMetricImperial
Ratio Weight/HP hp/kg7.30Kg/Hp16.10Lb/HpSingle wing lenght (m)4.2m13.78Ft
Wingspan8.4m27.56FtMean Chord (m)1.75m5.74Ft
Wing Area (m2)14.7158.2Ft²Engine (Hp)100Hp73Kw
Aspect ratio4.80Operational Weight Kg730Kg1610Lb
Wing Load Kg/M249.66Kg/m²10.17Lb/Ft²Maximum wing Chord2m6.56Ft
Sum hp/kg + wing load56.9626.27Minimum wing Chord1.5m4.92Ft
Estim. Range (270 l tank)2379Km1284NMDesirable Stall speed65Km/h35Knot
Desirable Takeoff Speed75Km/h40Knot
Desirable Cruise Speed185Km/h100Knot
Desirable Fuel spend21L/h4.62Gal/h

Back