• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member Intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohawk750

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been involved in aviation my entire working career as an AME here in Canada. I grew up with an aircraft in the garage as my dad was scratch building a Hatz CB1, (not finished) and rebuilt a Stinson 108 which he did finish and eventually got his pilots license in. Incidentally both these aircraft are currently for sale if anyone is interested. I will likely post those in the appropriate area later.

I received my PPL in the early 90's in Cessna 172's and taildragger check out and about 50 hours on a Cessna 140. I rebuilt a 1946 Taylorcraft over an 8 year period and flew it about 100 hours before selling to a friend when family came along. I am now at that stage in life when a new project or challenge may be an option. Both my girls are in university and I'm probably about 5 years from retirement soooo.........

I've been asked many times why I don't just finish my Dad's Hatz or recover the Stinson and get it in the air again but neither of those airplanes fit my proposed mission profile and budget. As anyone with aircraft ownership experience can tell you once it's at the airport the cost go way up and you are still lucky to fly 50 hours a year in. I need something small, probably single place, folding wing to share hangar space and probably trailerable so I can store at home for the winter.

So, looking at light aircraft designs, toying with the idea of my own design or at least the adaptation of an existing design as most "new" aircraft are these days.

I guess that's enough for now, Mark

Back