• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Member Intro & First Build Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonL62021

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jon, and I live in Western Mass, I'm in my mid 30s, and finished my PPL in June this year. I have about 90 hours flying to date, and continue to fly a couple times a month. I heard about homebuilding a few months into my training, and fell in love with the idea of building my own aircraft. My professional background is mainly in manufacturing: laser welding/cutting, electronics assembly, project management, and 3D modeling. However, I will admit I have never yet pulled a rivet, so I have some stuff to learn. I joined EAA and found a local chapter recently, which has a number of active builders, which I think will be helpful while I build.

I have been scanning the threads here for a couple months and it seems there is a lot of knowledge. This seems like the most focused forum on general homebuilding not specific to one type of kit or manufacturer. So, I figured this is a good place to solicite some opinions before I start on a kit.

My mission:
-3 to 4 people: Me, my wife, and my son (2yo) mostly. I'd fly alone on occasion, but family weekend trips would be often, probably more than once per month.
-95% less than 200nm distance
-Budget- ~$100k complete (VFR). Less preferred obviously.
-Speed isn't a great factor.
-Hoping to complete in 3-5 years from start.
-Prefer tricycle gear
-Prefer high wing

I realize the 3 seats rules out many homebuilts. This is a requirement though. Our family and friends are spread across New England, and we would use an airplane for visits whenever possible, weather permitting of course.

Considering these factors, I'm thinking my first kit will be a Zenith 750 Super Duty. Here is what I like about it:
-Meets mission requirements (and preferences)
-Looks like most tasks can be done by one person
-My cost estimates put a 750SD build at about $105k including a 20% error in budgeting
-STOL does sound like fun

Here is what I don't like about it:
-Tundra tires- not planning bush flying. Minimal grass strips but there probably will be some.
-Not the cleanest design
-Might be hard to find transition training. I plan on needing to travel.

These are the other aircraft I have considered, but ruled out (in order of interest):

4-Place Bearhawk: QB kit costs adds up quick, build looks like it will take much longer to complete.
RV-10: Love the design, too much money right now, longer build time, looks like it requires two people for much of the riveting.
Zenair 801: Seems like they are still not in full production, and I expect this would take longer to build and cost more than the 750 SD.
Glasair 2+2: I like the design, over current budget
Sonex: I like the simplicity and price, just not enough seats or useful load.
Murphy Yukon: Don't see many flying examples, can't find much info past the murphy website.
Bede-4c: It's just so ugly. I don't think I can look past this fact. Maybe I'm shallow?

So right now, I am planning on flying out to Zenith early next year for a rudder workshop and demo flight. Before I pull the trigger on signing up let me ask this forum:

-Am I missing any kits I should consider?

-Any significant reasons to reconsider the ones I've ruled out?

-Any opinions why the 750 SD isn't a good choice?

-I am under the impression I can probably, carefully and with some knowledgeable help, modify the landing gear for some smaller, treaded, non-tundra tires. I will probably encounter more wet asphalt than unprepared surfaces. I just haven't fully researched this yet, and would also ask this question to Zenith before attempting any modifications. Am I wrong in this assumption? I would note though, non-tundra tires are not a deal breaker, just a preference.

-Anything else I should be thinking about before I start my build?

Thanks to anyone who offers any insight or opinions!

Back