New member.. Greetings from Kentucky!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jrees

Greetings! I am new to this site, and am looking for anyone that has experience with a Backyard Flyer ultralight. I have my ppl, have flown various 2 and 4 seaters, most training in a C-152, and am now retired and looking to purchase a 4 stroke UL tri-gear, ready to fly. My choices seem to be quite limited on a 4 stroke, but the BYF seems to foot the bill for what i'm looking for. Just trying to find someone that has flown one of these to get their opinions! Greeting, and look forward to talking to you all.

1Bad88

Welcome to the forum! Have you considered a VW powered Sonex? I think that you will lose less money on one than a UL and you can fly it as LSA without a medical since you already have your PPL. There are some used examples in the mid $20k on Barnstormers and if it's not a tri-gear it may be able to be converted. It all depends on your goals though, so fly want appeals to you!

dcstrng

Welcome -- didn't realize those were made down in Rolla... have a friend who lives very near there, building a Wagabond...

I agree with the folks from Minnesota, store-bought 103s are attractive but with your ppl you have more options -- even if you stay LSA... Sonex is well supported, or you could go chat with the Zenith folks -- usually you can find one of their low-n-slow birds on Barnstormers for a reasonable amount.

Or for the BYC cost you might scare up a nice Aeronca or similar... hanger, etc., etc., etc., extra...

Jrees

Thank you for the welcome! Actually, i thought about going LSA, may still go that way, but i was thinking of avoiding the things that stop some of my buddies from flying, such as an annual inspection, BFR, etc., plus, not certain on hanger space as yet. I may be able to squeez in with a friend's twin in a single hanger, but not sure how much room available as yet. Still in the "thinking" stages, but so far, the BYF looks appealing, just a little high on price for what it is. Overall, the BYF looks to built stronger than most UL's i've seen, plus like the 4 stroke and rotating wing. Have to scratch my head a little more and check out the hanger space issue. I really appreciate the suggestions, and i will check them out.

1Bad88

Are you thinking about trailering the BYF? A 30' trailer is no small thing to tow or store. The common wisdom seems to be that you will fly more often if you don't have setup and takedown tasks.

Vipor_GG

I started my quest with an ultralight being the goal. After much research and number crunching I found that a homebuilt LSA isn't vastly more expensive than a new ready to fly ultralight. The ready to fly ultralights I looked into were in the $20k range while many homebuilts can be built for less than $30k. You can do your own maintenance on a homebuilt and inspections on a homebuilt that you build. I would still like to have an ultralight, but among other things I simply can't justify the cost.

lake_harley

Not that my opinion has any merit, but have you looked at the offerings from Hummel? Choose from the 103 Ultracriser or the faster Hummelbird or H5. I hope to build a Ultracruiser, or a slightly "tweaked" version of the Ultracrusier, as soon as I finish my MiniMAX. Here's the website for Hummel so you can have a look Hummel Aviation At least the Ultracriser and Hummelbird can be built with the tailwheel in the front :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Not knowing what part of KY you're from, we may not be too far apart, or quite a distance apart.....I'm in Southeast Missouri.

Lynn

Jrees

No, i'm not planning on keeping something in a trailer, hopefully i will be able to fit one in with a buddy at the Falmouth, Ky. (K-62) airport. He has a twin, and said that there may be room for me to fit in something fairly small there. I'm located in the northern Kentucky area, about 35-40 minute drive from Cincinnati. I am not a builder, do not have room anywhere to build, so i'm looking for something to buy and fly. Thanks for the advise, and i will check out the Hummel site.

Jrees

The more i read about 2 strokes, the less i would trust one. Some people have had good luck with them, but i think i'd rather take my chances with a 4 stroke. I will check out the Hiperlight though, i have been researching everything UL and LSA.