• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10kd

Hello all, I'm in the Central Texas area, originally from Nebraska and have been a certificated private pilot since 2000. It's been a decade since I've been up and I'm really itching to start flying again. Homebuilt aircraft have been a life-long love affair (many, many models built) and I will build and fly a single seat, small aircraft- no matter what! lol

I have a long history of composite structure building and actually grew up in a late 70's and early 80's in a fiberglass manufacturing facility that my parents owned, so long ago. I continued my self ed. with composites and have constructed many off-hand projects over the years using fiberglass and carbon fiber for the most part. Everything from automotive parts for friends to structural parts for items such as weight bearing trusses and Cartesian CNC machines with unheard of spans with limited structure material.

My goal is to find a suitable and interesting airframe that may be commonly built with all-wood or mixed construction materials/methods and re-design for composite structure. Epoxy/CF/'glass are my favored construction materials, but good ol' wood mixed with the aforementioned media can be unbelievably compliant and yet incredibly strong, if the courses are designed correctly and plenty of attention to the layup is focused. I use thermal cure and vacuum bagged techniques and have studied infusion enough that my next layup(s) will include that technique. My entire composites experience has been focused upon first-rate product with a emphasis on economics and simply making the part with as much quality as commonly accepted (or better) and keeping DIY builders within a reasonable economic envelope. I hope to contribute to this group and I'll see y'all around.

Last edited:
Back