New member from TX, USA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 10kd, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 5, 2019 #1

10kd

10kd

10kd

Hello all, I'm in the Central Texas area, originally from Nebraska and have been a certificated private pilot since 2000. It's been a decade since I've been up and I'm really itching to start flying again. Homebuilt aircraft have been a life-long love affair (many, many models built) and I will build and fly a single seat, small aircraft- no matter what! lol

I have a long history of composite structure building and actually grew up in a late 70's and early 80's in a fiberglass manufacturing facility that my parents owned, so long ago. I continued my self ed. with composites and have constructed many off-hand projects over the years using fiberglass and carbon fiber for the most part. Everything from automotive parts for friends to structural parts for items such as weight bearing trusses and Cartesian CNC machines with unheard of spans with limited structure material.

My goal is to find a suitable and interesting airframe that may be commonly built with all-wood or mixed construction materials/methods and re-design for composite structure. Epoxy/CF/'glass are my favored construction materials, but good ol' wood mixed with the aforementioned media can be unbelievably compliant and yet incredibly strong, if the courses are designed correctly and plenty of attention to the layup is focused. I use thermal cure and vacuum bagged techniques and have studied infusion enough that my next layup(s) will include that technique. My entire composites experience has been focused upon first-rate product with a emphasis on economics and simply making the part with as much quality as commonly accepted (or better) and keeping DIY builders within a reasonable economic envelope. I hope to contribute to this group and I'll see y'all around.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    delta, fly2kads and FritzW like this.
  2. Sep 5, 2019 #2

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

you might be interested in the late Ron Scotts Old Ironsides plane. It was in several issues of Sport plane magazine. It's in Wikipedia. It was basically a single place Whittman tailwind but with a wooden stick frame and sheet fiberglass as a covering for both the fuselage and the wing skins. It was a really nice plane. You might want to get back copies of the various magazines that it was featured in. The skins took the diagonal and drag anti drag loads in the wing structures.

3. Sep 5, 2019 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Welcome to HBA.

A few others have done what you want to do. Here is a composite redesign of an all wood aircraft http://www.falcomposite.com/furio.php

There also is a composite copy of the aluminum Piper Comanche.

Lots of aerobatic monoplanes started with all wood wings, then morphed into all composite.

What type of airplane interests you?

BJC

4. Sep 5, 2019 #4

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Got the magazine name slightly wrong. It's May 1992 issue of EAA Sport Aviation magazine. There is an older article too that shows the construction a little better. Ron had a hard landing that resulted in flipping the plane upside down on landing but he wasn't hurt seriously. He had buit that landing gear of layers of fiberglass and the axle bolt holes eventually eroded most likely due to resin becoming brittle with age and the axle parted from the gear leg on a landing. Ron passed away in 2015. Ron and his wife were salt of the earth people. I never met them in person but Ron would communicate with me, encourage me and share his knowledge with me whenever I had a question. Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 9.10.39 AM.png Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 9.09.32 AM.png

FritzW likes this.
  5. Sep 5, 2019 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep, A lot alike my JMR Special.

John wadman and FritzW like this.
  6. Sep 6, 2019 #6

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

That there is a cute little airplane!

7. Sep 6, 2019 #7

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

except for the gear and the construction material the design is very similar Pops.

8. Sep 6, 2019 #8

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, the JMR is steel tube fuselage, wood wings and tail wires. Sort of a single place ButterCup on tri-gear.