Quantcast

New member from San Luis Obispo California

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Harry

Hi Folks, I am a new member from San Luis Obispo California, I have always wanted to build a home built aircraft from scratch (not a kit), so, I bought plans for a Legal Eagle XL (XL because i'm a fat guy). I have built all the ribs and am starting on the spars, also I have started to build a 1/2 VW to power the plane. I am very close to finishing the engine so I am looking for a prop to test run and brake-in (not fly) any leads to finding a test prop is appreciated. I am sure that I will have a lot of questions so I am looking forward to talking to you all with build and tech questions.
Harry

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Harry! Congrats on the progress you have made with your Legal Eagle. I also have the XL plans, but am dithering between projects. Do you know about the annual Legal Eagle gatherings in Rio Vista?

Harry

Thanks for the replies, I am very excited to know that there are other Legal Eagle builders close by, I have made some modifications to my LEXL ribs to mimic the Clark Y design, I just didn't feel comfortable with the flat top design of the rib, now its very close to the same airfoil as the piper cub. I figured that I would take the basic LEXL design and customize it to the best of my abilities. Have a look at the picture of my rib design.

Attachments

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Cool modification. What do you hope to get out of changing the ribs?

azevedoflyer

Harry,
Hailing from NW GA.
I too took a tangent path on wing section for my DE! Same reason given by you: if building from scratch, why not go for a better airfoil? On my case, decided for a HR’s GA30A418. Eagler’s Nest forum members pointed out that for this class of airplanes no detectable diferences results. Oh well, let it be.
Cheers,
Azevedoflyer😎

Yellowhammer

Hi Folks, I am a new member from San Luis Obispo California, I have always wanted to build a home built aircraft from scratch (not a kit), so, I bought plans for a Legal Eagle XL (XL because i'm a fat guy). I have built all the ribs and am starting on the spars, also I have started to build a 1/2 VW to power the plane. I am very close to finishing the engine so I am looking for a prop to test run and brake-in (not fly) any leads to finding a test prop is appreciated. I am sure that I will have a lot of questions so I am looking forward to talking to you all with build and tech questions.
Harry

Welcome aboard Harry. I think you will discover that you have come to the right place for excellent information, help, and good fellowship.

Yellowhammer

Scooper

HBA Supporter
Welcome, Harry. I'm up north in Sonoma County. There are lots of nice folks with good information to share here. I spent a couple of years at Vandenberg AFB and love the central California coast.