New member from NC..Thanks for letting me join.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hearse

Thanks for letting me join.
I am trying to build my first plane... Well it's a Ron Sands 1929 primary Glider.
If anyone has a rib jig they want to get rid of, I will give it a great home. Lol.
Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully it will turn out good and I can move on to a bigger project.
Thanks
Bill

TFF

I always have a soft spot for primary gliders, even though I have never flown one. At least rib jigs are not hard to make. I dig watching them fly on YouTube. Everyone looks really happy doing it. Keep us updated.

Hearse

Lol I was talking on the phone to Ron Sands Sr back in 1997. Man I wish I had known what I know now. I would have asked a lot more questions. I ordered the plans last week from his son Ron Jr. I wanted to ask if the primary Glider could be converted into Hold der Teugel..

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Make sure to join the Vintage Sailplane Association, they will be a good resource.

Also if by some strange chance you are able to travel to California quickly (retired airline driver?), you would benefit from attending the Experimental Soaring Association event this weekend... there are a dozen or more restored vintage gliders at this event and a large number of very knowledgeable people who know and "live" old gliders. If there is a rib jig board out there in the universe looking for a good home... it will either be at this airport or someone at this event will be able to get in contact with the owner of it.

Or... you can just get in touch with Jeff Byard, who is the leader of the vintage glider group here, and ask him if he knows of a rib jig :)

Last edited:

Hearse

Thanks I will try and find find his contact info..
There is absolutely no chance I can trave that far. It would great if I could but things are just too hecktic here right now. Lol.
Thanks.

BJC

HBA Supporter
thanks,
I am very close to Goldsboro and Wilson NC... In a little town called Fremont NC. Very close to where the air force dropped the hydrogen bomb.. lol.
Are you a member of EAA Chapter 506 in Smithfield?

BJC