New member - fledgling mini-max builder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flyt4tmn, Jul 20, 2018.

1. flyt4tmn

flyt4tmn New Member

Hi everyone, taking a bit of time to give a short introduction. I'm a fledgling builder who has recently been more active at finally building the tail feathers on a Mini Max 1650R Eros. Truth be told, like many folks I suppose, I did a bit of work on the v-stab and then work/life got in the way. But following a 6 months of studying for a large professional exam, I am back at it. I made enough headway to be 90% done with the v-stab and rudder and think I could finish it within a week. It is a relatively simple piece of the larger puzzle, I just simply doubted that I could do it.

I'm a middle-aged fella with grown kids (1 remains at the house) and my wife and I live a pretty simple life near San Antonio. In the late 1990s I got my Private Pilot SEL and IFR rating but following that only flew periodically and haven't flown in 10+ year at this point. I hope to get hooked into the local EAA Chapter and while I'm building in a spare space at the house I hope one day soon to have the problem deciding where to rent hanger space.

I looked at a number of homebuilts available over a period of months and tried to see as many as I could; The Teenie Two, Wittman Buttercup, Hummelbird, Volkplane and some more complicated and sexy looking aircraft but I opted for the Team Mini-Max Eros. Knowing my skillset, I opted for the relative simplicity of the Mini-Max given the its affordability, the flexibility of building it as either an ultralight or LSA, the hands-on nature of Team Mini-Max. It was easy to see the plane as bite sized pieces and it looked pretty neat as well.

I've got another step in my professional designation that will take me away from building between November and June (2019) so the next few months will be a process of continuing to eat the elephant one bite at a time. My goal is to complete the v-stab/rudder, h-stab/elevator and all wing ribs prior to November. Maybe it's possible to get further than that, but making good headway before I press pause, will give me a good place to pick up one my exam is done in June.

I've moved from a paper/pencil/online photos log to Kit Log recently; http://www.mykitlog.com/tmnolte/

Looking forward to learning from y'all.

You

2. akwrencher

akwrencher Well-Known Member

3. flyt4tmn

flyt4tmn New Member

Awesome thanks for the link! Have been a member over there for a couple years, but not very active.

4. Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo Well-Known Member

We have a fantastic thread here on HBA by Little Scrapper on his "budget build" MiniMax. He has made a series of videos as well. An absolute must if you are building on a budget.

akwrencher likes this.
  5. flyt4tmn

flyt4tmn New Member

Fantastic! I'm going to go search for it now!

6. don january

don january Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum flyt4tmn. All wood plane is fun to build and Little Scrapper and his family have a great follow thread and your at a good point to watch the progress as they are just getting the plane started. I checked out your build log and took a close look at your choice of wood grain and run out on the tail feathers. Little Scrapper covers that area rather well in his videos. I say again welcome aboard and hope to see a few pictures added to HBA for we all can enjoy your effort. Don

7. Topaz

Topaz Moderator

Welcome!

8. flyt4tmn

flyt4tmn New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad you looked over the log and certainly please feel free to offer ideas/suggestions/comments.

With my limited experience I am building using the sub-kits available from Coop at TEAM Mini Max. Probably not the least expensive way but fits my skillset. It's been an interesting journey the past few weeks and certainly am looking for feedback and guidance. At this point I feel like I'm just learning how to swim. My wife uses the phrase that it's best to eat an elephant one bite at at time and that's how I'm looking at it. I'll have to take a sabbatical beginning November until late June for work related exam prep so I'm really looking at keeping this process moving forward until them.

I've only recently begun to not think of this in a linear manner to try to save some of the limited time I have. For instance, I am considering laminating the l/e of the h-stab this weekend and instead of waiting for them to cure I can actually do something concurrently.

But, if there's anything that I know, it's that I don't know a lot. I've have spent some time buried in Bingelis' books and attempting to be deliberate but not excessively analytical (I'm a Fixed Income Portfolio Manager by trade). I enjoy understanding the theory also behind why we build the way we build but look to others for bringing a more experienced eye.

Thoughts or feedback on the grain or run out? While Team Mini Max sends wood they selected with the sub-kits, I'm still looking over it to make sure it appears acceptable, understand what is acceptable.

Anyway, lots of steps in the process and fwiw, I've really only just started and want to make as much progress as possible before November. Will get some pictures up of my humble shop and parts here soon. Read through Little Scrappers Mini-Max build and it's a fantastic read. There is certainly much to learn!

9. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Well-Known Member

Welcome Tracy.

10. cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. It looks like a daunting task but like your wife says one bite at a time. Build a piece here make a part then soon you will look at it and say wow this thing looks like it might be an airplane. Another bit here and there and you will say wow this thing is looking like an airplane. It is a fun process. Have fun.

11. mogwai

mogwai New Member

Thanks all!

12. lowrider47

lowrider47 New Member

Welcome aboard, I also have a mini-max 1500 great little plane that taught myself and two sons to fly.