New medical: getting your doc onboard

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

kent Ashton

With all the talk about whether doctors will object to signing the new medicals, I think it's prudent to alert your doc to what is coming. My doc is pretty good but it will be a new thing for her. It can't hurt to discuss this thing in advance. (I have been on a special issuance)

Here's what I am sending her (1) an extract of the new rule that outlines her role (see pdf), (2) copy of my last FAA Form 8500-8 (not shown here) and (3) a cover letter.

Suggest you do the same and report what you hear back from your doc.

Attachments

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Kent,
That looks like a pretty good way of introducing things to your doctor. Minor suggestions:
a) Maybe the cover letter could steer them right to Section 69.5 and 68.7, the parts that affect them directly.
b) The first thing the doctor will probably want to know is "how are other doctors handling this new FAA procedure/form?" The reg is fine, but everybody wants a little handholding. I thought that AOPA was planning to provide a cheat sheet for doctors, that would be worth including. Or if there's a web page with FAQs, you could give your doc a link to that. There's no reason for your doc to feel like they have to blaze a trail and work straight from the reg when there's bound to be some help to be found.

Thanks for the post, this will be useful. Please let us know how your doctor reacts.

Mark

skier

Good timing. I'm vising my doctor tomorrow and called last week to ask about the new rules. She said to bring the paperwork with me and she'd look it over. My medical isn't expiring for another couple years, but I thought it would be good to get this on her radar before I need it. I'll let you guys know what she says.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
With all the talk about whether doctors will object to signing the new medicals, I think it's prudent to alert your doc to what is coming. My doc is pretty good but it will be a new thing for her. It can't hurt to discuss this thing in advance. (I have been on a special issuance)

Here's what I am sending her (1) an extract of the new rule that outlines her role (see pdf), (2) copy of my last FAA Form 8500-8 (not shown here) and (3) a cover letter.

Suggest you do the same and report what you hear back from your doc.
§68.7(c)(1)(ix) - ANUS ???

Last edited:
Group Builder