Me, too! Turns out the 220V jack I have in the garage is of the 30A variety, but my welder has a 50A plug on it (different shape). It'll do 115V, but I live in an older house, and the circuit that feeds the garage is shared with the kitchen, and it's only 15A. Couple that with an extension cord, and I think it's just asking for a "lackajuice" condition. So I went to Menards and bought a new 50A plug to replace the 30A one, as well as a 10ga extension cord made for welders. And yes, I checked with my electrician brother to make sure the wiring was compatible and codeworthy!
I think tonight will be a good opportunity to get things set up to give it a go. I also wanted to get some work done on the plane this week, so I spent yesterday on that (and yard work). Someone told me not to forget to work on the plane, having shiny new toys to play with. Great advice.
No worries. All is fair in love and electrical safety.In the interest of safety, I have to say I'm a little confused about how you are making your circuit. Are you just running a new circuit from your electric panel, and leaving the original circuit alone and intact ? Or, are you trying to tie the new stuff to the existing circuit ? I'm only asking because I would hate to see you do it wrong and fry some wires. I know you said you asked your brother if it was compatible, but how the question was asked may have had a bearing on his response. Your electric panel may be compatible (large enough and 220), but the 115V wiring leaving the panel probably isn't. I wonder why there is an existing 30 amp plug installed on a 15 amp circuit to begin with, especially one that services your kitchen too. Maybe you mean two 15 amp breakers in parallel. Also, some older houses used aluminum wiring for a while until it was proven unacceptable for smaller circuits. Anyway, if its dual 15 amp circuits and its also serving the kitchen, I see potential problems.
As I said, I'm only inquiring for safety reasons and for your benefit. I would hope that the 15 amp line is not the only/main source of electricity to your kitchen. If it is, I would look into upgrading your kitchen circuit. Second, I would suggest that the wiring to the garage welding plug be its own individual circuit . Then watch craigslist or local industrial auctions for some long used wiring cable to make you a 15-30 ft extension cord.
Anyway that's my concerns/suggestions. Be safe first (if I misread your post, then sorry for wasting your time)