• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New issue in wiring the FL760 com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysmiths

I soldered the connector fittings for the back of my new FL760 com, a bit tedious a magnifying glass helped a lot. As I began soldering mic and headphone jacks I ran into an odd situation, at least to me. Perhaps there is no issue, but it is worrisome.

The PTT pin on this radio (or most coms as far as I know) needs to be grounded to work, thus I soldered it to the side of the PTT switch that is ungrounded unless depressed as per schematic. Upon rechecking continuity a little later, I found that I had a dead short somewhere in the PTT circuit when the button(s) are not depressed. Further investigation revealed the culprit....it is the radio itself. The pin for PTT (happens to be pin 7) has continuity when checked between the radio and the case of the radio. Then, even more confounding to me is that several other pins inside the back of the radio have continuity as well.

This radio has never been powered on and this seems odd to me. Is it likely to be faulty or will all of this change when it powers up?? I'm out of my element on this stuff.

Back