New Guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by INTJ, Apr 10, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 10, 2017 #1

INTJ

INTJ

INTJ

I seem to be getting drawn into the idea of building a T-51. We'll see...................

I was a USAF pilot from 1983 to 2007. Flew C-130s, T-38s, T-1s. My last USAF flight was Dec 2004 and my last tour was a non-flying tour. After I retired from the USAF I went to work full time for a forest products company in Oregon, in the very town I was born. I do transportation analysis, transportation rate management, special projects--all of those items are boring; but I do get to manage the company aviation program. We have an XLS+. No, I am not actively flying.

Since I left the service with Gulf War Syndrome (chronic fatigue syndrome), I figured my flying days were done. I have learned how to manage my CFS quite well so I took a Class III physical last October. Lo and behold the FAA granted me a Class III Special Issuance Certificate.

I am in the process of selling my current house and moving to a new one, so I don't have the time start flying this year. However, once that transition is complete I can comeback to flying. I have managed to get a tiny amount of stick time in the last 10 years: 10 minutes in a CJ4, an hour in a Stinson, 15 minutes in a Seminole. My flying skills are still there but the rules are a little fuzzy. I'll take an on-line ground school course later this year.

Living in Oregon an RV-8 makes a lot of sense. An RV-8 with a 200 HP engine has a little better performance than what Titan shows for a V6 (I assume Subaru?) T-51. However, the cool factor of the T-51 is much higher than an RV-8, and this time I am flying for ME. I'd think a LS powered T-51 should have better performance than any RV.

Blaine

2. Apr 10, 2017 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Welcome to HBA, and thank you for your military service!

3. Apr 10, 2017 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

4. Apr 10, 2017 #4

don january

don january

don january

Semper Fi INTJ I'm USMC ret. I run a 2.5 lt. subaru in my car and keep telling the wife I'm going to take it and mount it on the KR-2, But she just tells me to get down and give her "100" for even thinking about it.:) Welcome to the HBA forum

5. Apr 10, 2017 #5

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Welcome! Thank you for your service!

Navy F/A-18 guy here (nope didn't fly 'em, just fixed 'em). Thankfully, I was an off-shore type and not in the thick of things during the Gulf War.

High school classmate and friend of mine ran the C-130 show for the Air Force for many moons in the theater. Col. Mark Czelusta. Know the name?

T-51 has always been a winner in my book, but I found my passion in Vintage and low-and-slow types of things. Looking forward to learning more about your flying and building adventures.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #6

INTJ

INTJ

INTJ

Wow--small world!! CZ and I were neighbors when we were both station at Yokota.

To all--thanks for the welcome! The website looks like a great resource.

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  7. Apr 12, 2017 #7

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

He's retired now after 24 (I think) years and living the dream in Colorado skiing as often as possible! :)

8. Apr 12, 2017 #8

INTJ

INTJ

INTJ

My youngest daughter, who will be 19 this year, is named Dainelle. However, back at Yokota AB in 2000, Marks little dughter couldn't say "Dani". Now she could say "Dano", and that is what I have called my youngest daughter since.

9. Jun 3, 2017 #9

lurker

lurker

lurker

i used to be intj, but now i'm trending intx. slightly less judgemental, maybe too old to care much.

10. Jun 3, 2017 #10

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Thank you for your service!

If I had been in the AF, and if they would let me fly (color vision problem), then I would have picked the C130. I think that would be a fun plane to fly.

11. Jun 3, 2017 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

My oldest son was in the Gulf War in the C-130's. Stationed a lot of the time at Little Rock AFB. Out after Somalia. Everywhere except Antarctica.