• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New glider design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watt

Hello everyone,
I have been designing aircraft for eight years now, and my last post here was in 2014 for a four seat long range aircraft.
Being also a glider pilot I have decided to turn my attention to them.
Glider design seems pretty straightforward as everyone pretty much copies the same concept from 1978 working hard to find small defect to correct, airfoils and materials to improve and every time the performances improves by a couple of L/D points a new glider is born.
Being interested mostly by the design process I have decided to try something new and start with the motivations of glider pilots. I am hoping to have an Ah-ah! moment that will explain better why we fly.
I have put together this small 5mn study that will help me understand "Where" to start with my design. It is as much a performance wish list as it is a psychological study on the brain of pilots.
I am an amateur, this is non commercial and I will share my findings on this thread when done.
Cheers

Soaring study

Back