New from Iowa

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

kwg020

Hello all
I just signed up and have been looking over the site. I'm a retired LEO and Iowa National Guardsman (Army Aviation) and have too much free time on my hands. I'm in central Iowa and would like to look in on some projects. I've always wanted to build but the money is not there so it would be nice just to put in some free labor for someone. Thanks for letting me hang out. kwg

lr27

Welcome. If you have the space, I bet you can find something that flies which isn't horribly expensive to build. You can get an old VW engine and convert it yourself. Check out plans builts like the Pietenpol, maybe Double Eagle, ultralights like the Sky Pup, , and I'm sure there are lots of others. And I'm sure that a project will handily take care of your free time.

Of course I'm sure there are lots people that could use your help, but I haven't been anywhere near Iowa for a couple of decades.

P.S. If space is really a problem, and budget is super tight, there's always models. Especially free flight. A free flight scale kit that costs $15 (Golden Age Reproductions) or so (printwood, not die cut), together with a few bucks of materials, will probably cost you less than $1 per hour for your fun and keep you busy for 40 or more hours. And don't laugh, some of these things are spectacular.

WonderousMountain

I'm building an ultralight/LSA this summer out of Missouri. I don't really have all the money necessary either. Although I do have most of the tools and some handy materials..... Send me a message and I'll let you know if there's something you can help with.

Wonderous Mountain

What kind of tools do you have for building.

kwg020

Hello Mountin
Thanks for the offer but Missouri may be hard to justify driving to. As I recall SIG model airplanes is 71 miles from my house in Montezuma Iowa. It's been years since I built a model. I'm back in school starting a new career so that is a priority. But, thanks for the offer. kwg

bob.shea

You can find almost complete kits on barnstormers. I found a all metal single seat, it was a solid 80% done, I even got it with a vw that was in a flying plane. I am finishing it slowly, spending money on getting my private.
I got this kit for less than 2 grand, and I will have it completed for less than 6 grand. I wont have any kind of award winner but I will have a nice single seat plane that I can chase Hambergers with. point is, if impressing everybody else is not at the top of the list, you can build basic kits without having to spend a real lot of money.
Good luck to you and Thanks For serving.