New Flying Wing takes flight - Facebook's Aquila

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Piloot

Really biziarre design, but it must have cost a fortune because of carbon fiber!

I think that the carbon fiber would be offputting to users or potential buyers of the airplane, sure it is as light as a feather and stronger than most materials, but for slightly worse performance, someone could use older materials to make a similar airplane.

But I think all the gymnastics to get around a heavier airframe with cheaper materials would be alot, considering this airplane has a large wingspan, that demands to be light enough to carry the solar arrays, and if they would make the wingspan longer, it would be weaker, etc etc...

Welp, thats my 2 cents.

karoliina.t.salminen

Piloot: sorry to dissapoint you but building this kind of plane from heavier materials, no matter what kind of cost benefits there would be, is an impossibility due to the limitations of the solution space the laws of physics impose. If I would have designed the plane, my material choice would not have been any different.

I am flying a plane which has a lot of carbon parts on it including wing spars, what I can say is that the carbon on it is hardly the most expensive part, having recently suffered the cost of factory remanufactured engine....

M

Manticore

370767main_ED03-0152-4_full.jpg
Over 13 years now since Helios crashed. I wondered when something similar would come along.

proppastie

Log Member
Piloot: sorry to dissapoint you but building this kind of plane from heavier materials, no matter what kind of cost benefits there would be, is an impossibility due to the limitations of the solution space the laws of physics impose. If I would have designed the plane, my material choice would not have been any different.

I am flying a plane which has a lot of carbon parts on it including wing spars, what I can say is that the carbon on it is hardly the most expensive part, having recently suffered the cost of factory remanufactured engine....
Overhaul of an engine is child's play compared to what I saw on your blog,

Speedboat100

Thanks Red...maybe they have elliptical lift on it ? I'd put a bit more sweep to an flying wing...and those rudders.

Red Jensen

Thanks Red...maybe they have elliptical lift on it ? I'd put a bit more sweep to an flying wing...and those rudders.
As far as I know, its designed with an E spanload, but purely speculation on my part. It looks a bit different than the renderings, but no pictures are available.

Latest posts